laurie basler

Morning Glory bindweed on the attack

I have just noticed a sudden outburst of morning glory shoots all over one large flower bed. I had this under control for so long.
I have never had new tiny plants like this. They are not coming from the site I use to tackle. I did some research and my local County weed control information recommended I let them mature and treat when these thugs are flowering before hitting them with Roundup, as it is more successful. I can't let them grow for 6 to 8 weeks, they will be everywhere. Any one have a course of action that allows pulling or spraying now with fairly decent results. I know I have an uphill battle here, but I would rather work at them again next year, than look at them thru the summer. If there is actually merit in this recommendation please advise. I will if I must, but oh it will not be glorious at all. Thanks in advance. Laurie

imafan26
Mod

Bind weed is terrible. You have to get rid of them before they go to seed. The birds can spread them and they have long tap roots so if you can't dig out the whole root they just come back. Herbicides are the only way to kill them root and all.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I wonder if Brush B gone would work if brushed on the cut stems.

I can't imagine waiting until the stuff flowers before trying to get rid of it. That stuff grows so fast and becomes such a mess before it flowers.

imafan26
Mod

If you are going to want to plant something there shortly after make sure you don't use an extended weed killer. They can persist and damage future plants. Don't compost plants you put weed killer on.

laurie basler

Oh Thanks all.
Marlingardener, I really would have an inglorious Morning Glory bed.I swear they grow almost a foot a day. I double dug them out about 5 years ago, and I followed the root as far as I could. I dumped the vine and leaves in Roundup in baggies and I pulled, and pulled and pulled. My back aches just recalling it all.
Thank you, ImaFan. That is so true. I will go with Roundup first, hoping that will work.
Butterflylady 29, I did use Bush Be Gone on them some time ago, and it really did work. I would have used a Nuke back then I had such a huge problem. Thank you all so much. I like to respect my extension office, so I appreciate learning you all would be against doing nothing too. Happy Gardening. Thank you, Thank you.

GoldLocket
Newly Registered

I've just moved into a house with morning glories EVERYWHERE. The yard, flowerbeds, and raised vegetable beds have all been overrun and it's climbing the fence. I've been thinking about using roundup, but am worried about the vegetable beds, as I would like to try my hand at veggie gardening next year, and the flower beds, as there is a rosebush I would like to preserve. Do you think I could get away with it, or is it not safe?

And how do you use roundup anyway? Do you have to soak the whole plant, get the base of the vine, or what? Do you need to cut it back or pull it out as well? I'm a compelte newbie, obviously :)

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

If they are blooming you'll have them next year too. Just start hacking away. You have to cut them back now. Eventually you'll wear out the roots and they'll give up.

Return to “Landscaping”