eelynch402
Newly Registered

Temporary flower garden advice

We just pulled out some diseased hedges in our front yard and now have a large, unsightly empty space along the front edges of our property. We have decided to fill it in with grass, but will be completely killing and re-doing the lawn in the fall when the weather starts to cool. In the meantime, I need an inexpensive fix to make the large brown ugly space look a little better.

I was thinking of throwing out some flower seeds so we can enjoy some blooms this summer. We are in Southern Oregon. Does anyone have some advice about flowers that would cover the ugly space, grow/bloom fairly quickly and come out easily?

Thank you!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Are you looking for flowers that grow verticaly (tall) or flowers that grow horizontaly?

It may take a while for the seeds to grow into flowers big enough to cover stuff. So I would suggest you buy flowers from a store.

Please tell us whether you want tall or normal flowers, and I would be able to recommend some types of flowers.

Also, have you though of vines? Maybe you could install a lattice and let one vines grow all over it.

eelynch402
Newly Registered

I'm open to either tall or horizontal. It's just such a large space, I don't think it has to be completely covered, I just don't want to leave it dirt for 3 months if there is something easy that will make it look nicer. If I purchased enough flowers starts from the store to cover it, I have to take the time to dig and plant each one, and it would get rather expensive. I need a quick and cheap fix... so I was thinking just sprinkling flower seeds. Maybe I should just put down some bark and then shovel it to the other parts of my yard when I'm ready to put the grass in. It won't look nice, but it's better than dirt. Thanks for any ideas.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We have had AWESOME results from this "shake and pour" zinnia mix boxes. They are just beautiful, and they do die off in the winter. Some have reseeded here and there, but they are easily removed if you don't want them there. Will go find a link of what I'm talking about. Brb.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Flower seeds are a good idea, except if you want tall flowers- tall flower seeds take a while to grow tall and it may be too late to start now.
4 o' clocks are nice! My personal favorite!

My local Dollarama store has packets of flower seeds that cost 3 for $1. I bought a ton of them but unfortunately flowers grow slow so I don't know when I'll see my full grown flowers...maybe in August? :oops:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We have literally been trying to get rid of 4 o'clocks for 20 years. There's still one that comes up every year under my rose bush, no matter how many times I pull it up!

They grow tubers as well as populate by seed... I would be wary of them being a temporary fix.

Zinnias will flower within 1 month. Ours get about 2.5 feet tall and fill out densely!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

4 o'clock tubers aren't hardy in northern areas. Even the seeds don't survive winter in colder locations.

Castor beans and sunflowers grow rather tall, 6 feet and up. They'll come out easily after the plants are killed by frost. Castor bean plants and especially the seeds are toxic if eaten so I wouldn't use them if you have chewing pets or small children. Mexican sunflowers, some types of marigolds, large zinnias, and annual asters can grow to 3 feet and will flower beautifully for you within 2 months.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yup, you folks are right! They are quite hard to get rid of because their seeds are VERY hardy and no matter how much you try to pull 'em out, some seeds will fall off and germinate. Also, their roots re grow quite well.
My four o' clocks are taking over my front yard, but to be honest, they look so pretty that I don't even care!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Really? I have to replant every year. I've never had them resprout from the roots or seedlings come up after planting them.

Gladiolas will look good there and will bloom the first year. The bulbs will have to be dug after the foliage dies anyway.

eelynch402
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone, I think I'll throw out some Zinnia seeds. I appreciate the ideas!

imafan26
Mod

I keep four o'clocks in a pot. Still the seeds drop and I have to pull them out. I keep them because they are a deterrent to rose beetles.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Japanese beetles like em too! That's why I gave up on removing the one 4 o'clock in the rose bush! They're toxic to them as well.. Bonus!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”