elitemittens

Frost Killed All My Tomatoes!

I started about 25-35 tomato plants inside at about the middle of march. We planted these tomatoes about 2-3 days ago and this morning I wake up and check on them and apparently we had a very light frost last night and all of them died! I'm extremely disappointed about this so now we have to go out and buy all new tomato plants :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That is really sad and frustrating!

Had you hardened your plants off? In my experience tomatoes that are well hardened can survive a light frost. Putting a cover over the plant (or row or bed) helps them survive it too.

But what bad luck to have a frost in middle of May, just after you finally planted your tomatoes! :( :(

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Well that sucks! Here in the southeast, we have been having really low temps at night. I don't ever remember it being so cool this late!

I'm sorry you lost your plants! Especially those you started on your own.

elitemittens

it even snowed here about two weeks ago! They've been going to the garage for part of the day and all night for about 2-3 weeks. We have a pesky squirrel that ate two of my jalapeno plants down to nubs so we have to be careful about leaving them out when we're not out there.

applestar
Mod

Oh bummer! I'm so sorry.

Depending on how badly they were affected and how deep you planted them there is a very slight chance that some of them might surprise you with a new basal shoot or two, but this will be a severe set back and you may not want to nurse them along and risk the delay in your short growing season -- so I suppose better to replace with store-bought starts.

elitemittens

We're gonna go out in a few days to go buy some more plants. And today I also found out why my beans hadnt sprouted yet. A bug was eating the beans inside of the shell before they even sprouted! so now I have to replant 100 beans as well. Today is just not a good day for me and my plants I guess.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You can pre sprout your beans so that they get a head start growing before you place them! That may help with the bugs getting them before they sprout!

elitemittens

I had them soaking the day before I planted them. some had started to get little tails? I'm not sure what its called lol

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Yeah! That's pre sprouted, haha!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Winter just keeps hanging on this year. I never saw it this cold in May we usually have 90 degree weather all ready. It was 40 degrees 2 nights ago and 48 last night. Only been warning up in the mid 60s in the day. I planted okra, beans, corn, squash, lots of seeds planted 3 different times NO seeds are germinating it is too cold. Weather man said it might frost a few nights ago, I said piss on it I am not worrying about the tomatoes, they lived.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri May 20, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I planted about 30 starts out. Next day they were all flat on the ground. I don't think there was any frost. They just have a hard time with the wind and much brighter direct sunlight. I can't guess at this point if they will decide to send out new leaves and grow or not. Wait and see?

Tomatoes are a pain.

MOFishin

Gary350 wrote:Winter just keeps hanging on this year. I never saw it this cold in May we usually have 90 degree weather all ready. It was 40 degrees 2 nights ago and 48 last night. Only been warning up in the mid 60s in the day. I planted okra, beans, corn, squash, lots of seeds 3 different times NO seeds are germinating it is too cold. Weather man said it might frost a few nights ago, I said piss on it I am not worrying about the tomatoes, they lived.
Same here. No frost, but a very cool month of May. I may have to pre sprout corn and beans and replant, because I don't think the seeds I've already planted are going to come up.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday, the local Weather Service office reported that it was the second warmest January to May period on record. Record year was back in 1934. The 2016 last frost appears to be one back in April and about 10 days early.

Recently, the morning lows have been in the 50's. Yesterday, the thermometer barely made it to 60°f with 25+ mph wind gusts. It was 38° in my garden this morning!

I had already lost a tomato plant, broken at ground level by the wind - replaced it. There are several more out of about 60 with damaged stems, that will be replaced.

Nothing new, with wind damage and May temperatures in the 30's ... I was, however, suckered in to setting out warm-season plants a little early. Stunting is likely but that also is nothing new. Now, for some rain and, hopefully, better weather following ..?

Steve

btrowe1

Yes that stinks, Living in the northern climates it happens, South Glens Falls NY, checking in, I had 1 year where I lost 2 crops of tomatoes to frost. I now abide by the 'ole timer rule' no tomatoes or peppers in the ground till weekend AFTER Memorial day..yupper makes our home growns that much bigger.. Sorry to read on your loss, Thatts gardening, live and learn,..

Allyn
Green Thumb

Once I set plants out (which for me is in March and again in September), I watch the weather like a hawk, checking the forecast every evening until the end of April or starting at the end of October for fall. If there's even the chance of frost, out come the plant covers. It sucks to lose all those plants. I know -- been there, done that and it made me a weather-watcher.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I'm a little worried about mine this coming week. Seven day forecast has a couple of 38's and a 36 degree lows coming. When anything that low has been forecast, I've found I get frost in my area. I'm afraid I may have to abide by the after Memorial Day rule in the future! It's been unseasonably cool here too.

It's good to hear though that tomatoes can handle a light frost. Mine have been out for a while. Sorry about your tomatoes. I've learned to put out a few things at a time, then I still have some left in case something bad happens.

Addendum: I have peppers out too, now those I'm really worried about!

imafan26
Mod

I am sorry to hear about the tomatoes and the beans. They are good plants to grow but they require warmth. I am glad I don't have to deal with such wide temperature fluctuations. It would probably drive me crazy.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”