damethod

Aloe is not growing

I received an Aloe plant as a gift from my mother about 3 months ago. It's about 1ft. tall and 2ft in diameter. I planted it by the side of my house where it receives close to 100% sun. I've watered it about once a week, for a few minutes at most. The bottom leaves dried at the tips and then shriveled down. The rest of the plant seems to be healthy, only it hasn't grown at all. Am I being impatient or should I expect results already?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Aloes are a succulent and like the soil rather dry. I have never grown one outside before. But, I think that even at once a week you may be overwatering your plant.

That is a huge aloe! Try dividing it up as well.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Would you please provide pictures? That sounds like a monster aloe. :)

damethod

I am now transferring pics to photobucket. I should have several more posts with pics later today.

About the Aloe, I just guessed on the size. It definitely is about 1 ft. tall (The highest point) and maybe 2 ft wide(across from point to point). I am going to measure it now because I'm surprised to read that you are amazed by it's size. I recently went to St. Maarten and saw wild Aloe growing everywhere. The smallest plant I saw was at least 5 times the size of mine!! I've also seen much larger Aloe plants in front of some peoples houses down here. That is why I feel as though mine is small.

Anyways, Thanks for the input! :D

damethod

Here is a pic of my ALoe plant. It has not grown an inch since the day I planted it. I did not mulch the area and I pick grass and weeds from around the base around once every 3 weeks.

I've seen Aloe leaves in stores almost 3 feet long. The largest leaves on this plant are maybe 1 ft long. Any advice on getting this baby going? Am I expecting too much?

[img]https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/damethod/Gardenpics021.jpg[/img]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

The soil does look dry, really dry so, over watering isn't the problem. And it doesn't need to be divided.

I don't know let's see what else comes up.

damethod

Is there a certain fertilizer I should be using? Any nutritional supplements? If so, how often? Should I mulch the soil around it?

damethod

Also, what different types of Aloe are there? Maybe if I can identify what type I have, I can better care for it.

aqh88
Cool Member

They like sandy well draining soil not a lot of compost or fertilizer. It may just need time. Mine always takes a long time, months, to settle in after repotting and then they suddenly double in size the next month. Loss of color in the older leaves isn't entirely uncommon either. If any other leaves shrivel or aren't firm, try to squish the ends of a few, then I'd say it might be underwatered. Otherwise it probably just needs time to settle in. I'd give it another month before thinking anything was wrong unless more leaves start to shrivel or turn brown and in that case I'd try watering a little more frequently. They are very hardy and so long as there are a few firm green leaves they can recover.

wurzelgummidge

aloes are shallow rooting plants so need a shallowish pot,they will grow outside and can grow quite tall if in the ground,pot one are sensitive to frost so should be taken indoors before frost is likely. and watering wait till dried out then water well.

Jess
Greener Thumb

damethod wrote:Is there a certain fertilizer I should be using? Any nutritional supplements? If so, how often? Should I mulch the soil around it?
No, no and no. I know opabinia said it looked dry but it is probably nice and cushty and happy as it is because the conditions are too nice. You have to remember it is a desert plant.
https://www.maletsky.com/herbs/aloevera.htm
Sometimes going for weeks without any moisture and living in not much more than sand and rock. If there is green stuff like weeds and grass growing round it then the soil is too moist for it to get scared and want to reproduce or grow. I think you need to be nastier to it. Add some grit, small rocks and cover it when it is raining...make it suffer! :lol: That how I treat mine and it has just flowered!
It is an Aloe vera, the one you use for burns. Split a leaf through the middle and scrape the jelly like substance out and put it on your skin if you get sunburnt, very soothing.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”