denemante

planting in area where RoundUp was previously sprayed

My wife want to plant strawberries in an area in the front of our home that was previously a decorative garden and which I have previously sprayed Round Up. Last time I used it there was about a month ago. And perhaps once every 6 months - never heavy spraying - just to kill 10-20 patches of clover, etc.

There was also an ant bed and termites in there a year ago which I killed with some standard Ortho spray

Do those poisons linger, or would we be OK to plant there today?

imafan26
Mod

Regular glyphosate you can plant right away. Extended roundup has other things so it can last up to a year so you have to read the label. You would also have to read the ingredients on the ortho spray. That may take longer since it was not intended to be used in vegetable gardens.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I get squeamish about stuff like that. I say just mulch that spot and find a less toxic place for your food to grow.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Theres new reports from farmers that round-up does build up in the soil. Theres a farmer that has been using it for 11years and now has trouble growing anything at all first years was below detectable levels, but startet to rise threw the years way beyond that. It was originally thought to be launched as a antibiotic. Your body is like 90% bacteria. I would plant elsewhere. And I would stop using round-up.

imafan26
Mod

Reports from farmers are not scientific studies. What else are they putting in the soil and how much are they using?
Roundup is a chelating agent which binds phosphorus, but roundup itself is broken down by soil bacteria. You need organics to keep a healthy soil microbe population up. How much organics has the farmer added? More phosphorus would need to be applied if it is bound. Organics will also help make nutrients more available so you don't have to add as much.

Farmers probably use herbicides more than most people and if they use a lot of it the chelating property of glyphosate can bind a lot of phosphorus.

Most homeowners are not spraying that much roundup and probably not spraying their gardens with it on a regular basis. If you use it according to the label and only as a last resort, and it was used over a year ago, it should be fine. Termite spray on the other hand usually have additives to make it last longer. And you really don't want water or plants near a house wall because it will invite the termites back. For that reason, I would move the garden out to where it gets six hours of full sun and out in the open.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Well the farmers have done measurments by scientific approved methods as you can read in my post I didnt say the farmer looked at the soil and jumped into conclusions. It accumilates in the soil wich proves what it says on the bottle and what Monsanto is pushing is untrue. The only one pushing the opposite is the lobby group of Monsanto. And their interest is? The owners of Monsanto also owns a huge pharmacutical company, you go figure. Its all about money they don't give a damn about our health sadly in fact the make more money the more people gets sick. Making people sick is their buisiness. Just do a few hours research follow the money, its not that hard.

Yes farmers probably use it alot more, that doesnt make it safe to use in smaller quantities, I don't know where you get that idea from. It is our responsibility as human beings to take care of eachother and the planet we live on, atleast thats my philosophy.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”