DR1VEN

Are Aluminum Support Poles TOXIC to Plants or Soil?

Hi...New here and searched all over Google and cant find an answer...(searched the forum here too before posting)

Just looking for conformation for now to what I'm pretty sure the answer will be on leaching Aluminum under soil.

My neighbor gave me some 15' lengths of hollow aluminum poles that would work :-() perfect :-() to use as indeterminate trellis poles for training tomato's and such.

They look exactly like the type that would be a "pool-cleaning pole" for maintaining a swimming pool.

I understand aluminum is already in soil and plants but in minute amounts and was wondering if these driven into my beds would cause a problem or dangerous toxicity into the fruits or soil..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks so much in advance.

Very nice to meet you all...

:() DR1VEN :()

imafan26
Mod

Probably not unless you plan to leave them there. Painting them with a non toxic waterproof paint might help them last longer and keep the aluminum from being in contact with the soil.

I used aluminum tent poles and frame to support my trellis for squash. The only problem I had with hollow aluminum poles is that it can't take a lot of weight. The poles will bend. Bamboo and rebar actually lasted a long time. If you are going to put up permanent poles for a trellis. Fence posts can definitely handle the weight. A post pounder works great if you can borrow or buy one.

DR1VEN

Thanks for the quick input imafan26... :) :) I normally use galvanized steel or wood(mainly) but am out at the moment and am in a pinch as I have 6 additional plants I need to put in today as they're getting root-bound in my largest starter containers...That plus I'd hate wasting perfect length poles for the purpose intended...
(They're also 2" round and 1/8" thick so I know these will support trellis trained indeterminate tomato's forever....looking to leave in place at least 2 seasons)

I guess I'm asking/hoping if any one "definitively" knows if Aluminum can cause any harm/toxicity so I don't find out later....I really don't think so but I hate -wall- undoing work once completed.
I'll do it today if there's no replies and hope for the best...Cheers!

GardenThrive

I don't know if you'll get a definitive answer about that unless there is a scientist on here that has done an in depth study on that specific issue. It looks like if it was a problem there would be some info somewhere on it already. I doubt you'll have any problem with leaching into the soil. For my trellis on my raised beds I use EMT conduit that is slid over rebar posts that have been driven about 2-3 feet into the ground on the outside of the beds. I slide a washer over the rebar so the conduit never comes in contact directly with the soil. This trellis holds a lot of weight, is cheap, and very sturdy.

DR1VEN

Thank you both...I really do appreciate the input to try to put my over-analytical mind at ease...lol. Hey, what's gardening without trial by fire anyways? :roll:

I dropped 2 in yesterday. The post driver would have been an immense help....I found a hardpan type material about a foot down and it took about 1 hr by hand for only the 2. Looks like a got a much bigger project on my hands but once in they aren't going anywhere and now I know why my 10' 2"X2" wooden steaks That I drove in wont pull out after multiple attempts without breaking them...lol.

Thanks again so much....I'll post a pic to give some reference to the thread ASAP. Have a great day all....

Very quick answers here on this forum....Very happy to have joined.

:mrgreen: ~~~DR1VEN~~~ :mrgreen:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

As far as I know aluminum supports will be no problem. Never heard otherwise.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”