gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

WooHoo, big crawfish boil next weekend!!!!

That time of the year again down here in S.E. Louisiana and once Easter Sunday has passed, the price of the much cherished mudbugs drops pretty quick. There's going to be some serious crawfish eating next weekend when much of the wife's family gets together at her brother's house with siblings from out of state.

We will likely be boiling 6 sacks of the little delicacies, and that translates into between 220-240 lbs. worth of the tasty critters hitting the tables in the afternoon. Cold beer and hot crawfish with all the trimmings that go in the boil for even more to eat make for a good time here in Cajun Land.

My fellow La. and Miss. members will understand this post since it is almost a rite of spring to boil massive amounts of crawfish for a good time with family and friends.

webmaster
Site Admin

Sounds awesome! I love crawfish. Best crawfish I've ever had was in Louisiana! :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:Sounds awesome! I love crawfish. Best crawfish I've ever had was in Louisiana! :)

Glad you enjoyed them, but the age old question needs to be asked----"Did you suck the heads prior to eating the tail meat?" That usually separates the locals from the tourists-----that and the speed in which the locals can extract the tail meat with little to no peeling of the shell to get to that tasty morsel.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Mmmmm, crawlfish! Yum!
At around May my husband gathers all of his folks and friends and drives off to a pond-sort of area in a lake and catches sacks of those tasty crawlers. Eats have of them there and brings the rest home to me :)

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like a mess of fun.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Sounds like a mess of fun.

With emphasis on the "mess" when it is all said and done. It takes about 6-7 lbs. of boiled crawfish to yield 1 lb. of tail meat, so there are lots of shells to dispose of, along with the onions, celery, lemons, corn cobs, bay leaves, etc. used in the boil that are not eaten. Shame of it is, you can't really put it in a compost pile----------at least I wouldn't since there is a lot of salt and hot pepper used in the seasoning process when cooking them.

You just hope it's not real hot and not many days until the garbage men make their pass to pick up your trash. There's not many smells worse than rotting seafood. As we like to say here, "It will gag a maggot."

Allyn
Green Thumb

You are such a tease! When I started reading the post, I was sure it would end with a blanket invite. :) I can put away a mess of crawfish in a hurry! YUMmmm Have fun!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Sounds like a lot of fun. I just might have to take a trip down south some day to learn how to properly eat a crawfish. Even though we have them here, and in good numbers, and good sized ones, people mostly use them for fish bait. I'd rather use worms for bait and eat the crawfish.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Sounds like a lot of fun. I just might have to take a trip down south some day to learn how to properly eat a crawfish. Even though we have them here, and in good numbers, and good sized ones, people mostly use them for fish bait. I'd rather use worms for bait and eat the crawfish.

Eating them is real easy. It's the proper cooking of them that is what makes them so good to eat and worth all the effort. Nothing worse than poorly seasoned or cooked seafood in my opinion. I'll cook between 35 - 40 lbs. of them at a time.

I would think a good starting tutorial could be had by watching u-tube videos on how to cook seafood La. style. In truth, the water you boil seafood in should be extremely salty and pepper hot to the taste for a proper seasoning of the finished product. You can't skimp on the seasoning, even if it looks like too much. You can always control how much they soak up by not letting them soak in the water as long after the burner is shut off not long after the pot comes back to a boil.

And I agree with you. Use worms for bait and leave the crawfish for the people.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:To paraphrase what Webmaster wrote
Best crawfish I've ever had was in Louisiana! :)
the best anything I've ever had was in Louisiana!
I've never tried to do a crawfish boil (too few mudbugs, too few people who understand a crawfish boil) but I'd sure love to attend one!
Enjoy the great food, cold beer, and visiting with your family and friends. It doesn't get much better than that!

Well, if you ever find yourself in my area of the world during crawfish season-----spring--early summer----let me know and I'll see you get your fill.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Gumbo, I'll take you up on that kind invitation if I can make it to Louisiana during crawfish season. Shall I bring several loaves of home-made French bread?

French Bread in New Orleans NEVER goes to waste, just waist. Seriously, if it isn't consumed fresh and goes stale, then it's time for homemade croutons or delicious bread pudding with a nice hot rum sauce.

Like they say, "Come on down and pass a good time!"

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I know people love them, but I can not get past the fact that I used them as bait. I tried escargot and caviar once it is not something I will do again.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Tom, think of crawfish as a differently shaped shrimp ....
I rather think of them as tiny lobsters. Both have definite YUM appeal.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”