tickytacky
Newly Registered

Poisonous plants for dogs

Hello all,

My first post on this forum - no doubt the first of many as I stagger my way through the world of gardening!

I've just bought my first home (and so, my first garden!) and we have also just bought a puppy. The puppy has already shown quite the skill for digging up plants and eating leaves, and I've started to get a little concerned that I don't know what any of the plants are, but recognise that some of them could be quite poisonous for him.

Advance apologies that my first post should be such a demanding one, but I wondered if anybody could help me to identify the plants in the photographs below? A pop quiz of potential poison!

Plant 1:
unnamed.jpg
Plant 2:
unnamed-2.jpg
Plant 3:
unnamed-3.jpg
Plant 4:
unnamed-4.jpg
Plant 5:
unnamed-9.jpg
Plant 6:
unnamed-6.jpg
Plant 7:
unnamed-10.jpg
Plant 8:
unnamed-8.jpg
Thank you to anybody that can help to name these :)

- Ian

pinksand
Greener Thumb

1 - Aucuba Japonica
2 - Japanese Maple
3 – Lungwort (maybe?)
6 - Moses in the Cradle (maybe?)
8 - Euphorbia

imafan26
Mod

Fencing helps. I had to put pet fencing around my plants and train the dog he was not allowed to go there. Otherwise he would chew up bromeliads and orchids just to make me mad and chase him.

applestar
Mod

I agree with pinksand' so 1, and 2, and 8. I think 7 is comfrey.

I also think imafan has the right idea. It would be best to create a designated play area for you puppy and not let him have the run of the yard until he is trained to respond to you telling him NO and DROP IT/GIVE/SPIT IT OUT while you also continue to ID all the plants.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

#7 might be comfrey - might also be digitalis/foxglove - and if that's the case, that's one to watch for/avoid puppy-eating.

tickytacky
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help so far everyone. Good to know of the plants suggested, none of them are poisonous, except for the foxgloves.

I did buy a small picket fence to put around the garden, which is approximately 14 inches tall, thinking that would be good enough whilst he is small. Unfortunately, I underestimated just how quickly he would learn to jump so high and in the space of a week went from being completely unable to jump over, to now easily clearing it with all four legs!

imafan26
Mod

Pet fencing is about 3 ft tall. My dog was an irish setter mix. He could easily have jumped the fence or knocked it down. He just learned not to. You just have to be consistent with training and stop the dog before he goes over the fence. The fence is more a visual barrier that he needs to learn not to cross. Puppies are curious and they like to explore with their mouth. Be thankful he is not a terrier, you would have holes all over the yard. Until he learns you may have to have him on a long leash to train him.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Once your plants are ID'd you can look up their toxicity (or safety) here:
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-po ... plant-list

Return to “Plant Identification”