Harris Bolus
Newly Registered

Multiple zucchini per transplant?

I bought three zucchini transplants at a local nursery, and it seems like they've planted 2-3 per pot. I'm very surprised, because I would think they would crowd each other out. I'm worried about trying to separate them, because of damage I might cause to the root systems. Currently my plan is to grow each group in a 7-gallon (or more) container.

Will this work out as it is? Should I cut them down to have only one plant per pot? Or should I try to separate the roots? Let me know if I can provide more info

imafan26
Mod

If they are not that big you can gently tease them apart. If they are older, cut the weakest ones and keep the strongest.

Harris Bolus
Newly Registered

They're about 6-8" tall with three to five leaves each. Do you think they're small enough? Any tips for teasing them apart?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gently slide the whole mass out of the pot. Float it in a bucket of water. Once the potting mix is thoroughly moistened, they will fall apart.

They do need to be separated. The stores pot them together like that just for looks. Makes it look like one nice full bushy plant, when really you get it home and discover that you have three spindly ones. They will not do well left that crowded.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would just plant them. They will do fine. My Dad used to plant that way, 5 seeds to a hole. The squash came out and went out like the spokes of a wheel. Squash will send down more roots at the leaf nodes so don't worry about crowding roots.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've never had trouble with 3 to 5 seeds per mound. Never once thinned them, always have to beg people to take them from us! As long as there's enough water and foods for them, they do well. I actually have more trouble transplanting squash starts than I do just putting the seeds in the ground. I say just plant them out as is! Add compost and mulch, happy, comfortable squash.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Never separated mine either. Sooner or later the squash vine borer is going to get them anyway, so the more you have, the better

imafan26
Mod

I plant in a mound about 3 seeds and when I do that, they have more distance between them than the ones in a little pot.
I actually would rather plant squash or melons directly in the ground than from starts because they will quickly set back in a pot and they will remain stunted if that happens. Three to five leaves is already for me too long to be in a starter pot. I usually have to plant those out as soon as the true leaves appear.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”