Greywolf

When you have pure silt - what do you do?

This is one way:

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Short version: Growing tomatoes in old tires in a mixture of half-composted leaves and soil.

After all that (14 minutes of video) I'm not sure what this has to do with the fact he has silt. He should put a shirt on too. Dang! :-D

imafan26
Mod

Silt is very rich in nutrients. I'd trade that for my weather worn; low CEC sticky red clay.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I'd trade it for my brown clay too. Clay is actually quite rich in nutrients too, they're just so stuck to the clay surfaces that they hardly come off without a crowbar. :-p

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

You rejoice because it's not clay and it's not sand!

We haven't had any rain for over 2 weeks and my clay soil is still wet enough to squeeze water from it.

Greywolf

To get where I want it to be I need materials I don't have in my area. Sand or fine gravel is one of them, some amount of clay is another. 100% of any of those three (clay/silt/sand) is not a bit good, and the goal with heavy leaf compost is to at least split it up some.

The result so far though is that it still packs together like an adobe brick. I use a top layer around the outside now to let excess water drain out on the sides - but fill the centers the rest of the way with soil. Drain holes are punched in the tire containers at the level of the bottom of the mulch ring.

https://youtu.be/V_1f2ImiDLA?list=PL3ww ... Lid2x8cw9I

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Compost will certainly help improve soil texture regardless of what problem you have with it, which is nice. The stuff is magic.

We have mostly clay here in MO except in certain areas around the big rivers where the silt blew out of the valley and made loess hills, which I believe are very uniform silt sized particles. Exposed vertical faces will stand up for decades with hardly any erosion despite heavy rains. Amazing stuff. I haven't poked one to see if it's set up like adobe but it might be pretty solid. Whenever I can get river bottom silt or sand for my clay, I grab it. I'd trade you a load of clay for some silt if it wasn't so far to tote it. :-D

Greywolf

Got news - my other hobby is cars&trucks. I have a Festiva hotrod right now (B6T engine), and a stock Festiva coming home as a DD and road trip machine about a week from now. My first road trip target is Texas to grab a few sacks full of genuine cactus soil...

Missouri ain't that far when you get 40 a gallon.

* I figured out where to get clay though. CAT LITTER is made out of clay - they pelletize it into granules. If you get a basic cheap kind without deoderants in it, it breaks back down into clay in no time. (Ain't dollar stores wonderful? :lol: )

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I'm stuck buying bags and bags of play sand to mix with my clay. That and piles of wood mulch. I had hoped to get enough money saved up to buy a truck load of wood chips to spread in the garden after I get it planted this year but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Greywolf

Let me give you some advice: THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX!

That stuff comes from somewhere, and if you figure out where that is you are ahead of the game. I BET there is a sawmill near where you live. You can get trailer loads of sawdust there.

They also love horses and they have dairies in Ohio - somewhere nearby is a LOT of manure that you can get cheap.

Here's the kicker:

Every state has a highway department building roads, and also a railroad that each have quarries that have all kinds of stuff that they pass on to places that refine it. Those raw materials can be found cheaply....

Think about "ROCK DUST", a favorite of John Kohler. Does it seem to you as it does to me, that you can get it from a quarry mining operation? Go there instead of a store. Every state that builds roads has one somewhere. Every state that has RAILROADS has quarries all over them.

Every state that engages in these activities has a source for materials - and as a result, other materials. Materials that they consider WASTE materials. You can get them, if you know where to look.

Again - think outside of the box. What is waste to some, is a goldmine to others. If you are walking up to a cash register - chances are you went to the wrong place

*Lumber yards and sawmills have sawdust falling out of their pockets

Return to “Composting Forum”