PinkPetalPolygon

Garden Dreams

There has never been a moment when I thought gardening wasn't one of the best things I could possibly do, now that I think of it. That being said, one of the ways I know gardening is the one of the best things I can do with my time, imho, is what it does to my DREAMS!

I didn't intend for this post to be so long, so in the short, I was just curious about your experiences with Garden Dreams!

1. Do people who were born into a family that garden dream of their family gardens? / Have you always dreamed of plants/gardening?

2. Do you ever dream of plants that you have never seen before / can't identify / don't know what they are?

3. Do you have any reoccurring garden dreams or themes?

Here are some of my rather wordy experiences:

I read somewhere something about dreams that I felt fit for me personally, and it made me feel better about what dreams were, no matter what they are. I read somewhere that dreams were, in somebody's opinion, a way of the mind/brain/psyche/self reconciling

something to the equivalent of

"everything that ever happened" [while you were awake/conscious/living]

I like that theory because it puts me at ease with my dreams. They aren't consistently great. They aren't always palatable at times. I have to say, however, my dreams are actually wonderful if my mind has to churn through everything it ever went through. :shock:

I accept my dreams on that account I don't have constant nightmares about certain things that I feel I should be lucky not to dream about, if that makes sense. I want to outright say I ABSOLUTELY sympathize with anyone who has constant nightmares in a way that impacts their life at all.

Or maybe I want to send out condolences for any part of humanity that ever had a bad dream!? *poof!*

All that being said, I want to say: there is absolute hope for those with lives whose dreams leave them with a bad taste in your month! Or at least my dreams made me feel kind of helpless like even though my life was okay now I kept dreaming about situations where I didn't feel "OK" and I didn't think there would be a way out of it.

I started gardening 3 or 4 years ago and reading about plants online in most of my spare time.

Gardening and reading about plants changed the inside of my mind and made me see flowers and vines in all the places I used to have bad dreams. :)

The more I garden, the more garden dreams I have.

In my dreams, I am at the places I lived where I was a child (we never gardened anything then and it is all fiction but I am in my old backyards!) -

I approach well maintained plots in my dreams: I know it is my plot in the dreams, and I know I grew the plants I am touching because of the feeling I have! But often times I have no idea what kind of flowers I'm seeing because... [they are made up exotic mishmashes of every plant I've ever read about... and I guess I've been reading about... thousands now, hah!]

I once dreamed of figs growing on squash vines, which was awesome! (if figs grew like squash on vines I WOULD have a fig patch trellising everywhere afterall, hehe!)

I even have a new garden related nightmare! I have had this dream twice this month:

The nightmare is that I can't sleep... because... there is...

*a CHOCOLATE MINT!!* plant growing in my bed and I am

"too minty to sleep"

which is quite frankly one of the most heartwarming bad dreams I've ever had. (I happen to love mint. I also recently transplanted some and have some mint cuttings rooting in water as we speak. So it was like too much of a good thing come to life live, hahah!)

I did literally laugh out loud when I realized I was having "bad dreams" about one of my favorite things: funny funny funny!

Thank the Earth, Truly!
(I am going to use this post in the future to write about my Garden Dreams, feel welcome to share yours any time too!)

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I thoroughly enjoyed this Garden Dreams post. I have a Jungian perspective about dreams, that dreams are highly symbolic messages from the collective unconscious. I don't usually have dreams about plants. However, I had dreams about trees when I was working in a "sick building". I was having severe allergies and asthma. I felt like I couldn't breath whenever I walked into that building. It was a very stressful situation. When I was at my worst, I started to have recurring dreams about an extreme longing to walk among a forest of trees so that I could breathe the oxygen they produce. I ended up quitting the sick building job. The experience was a nightmare, but the dreams I had were compensating.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The only garden related dreams I've had were of destruction. Someone riding an ATV through my nice garden and carefully tended woodland garden and a couple where I left plants out only to find they had been killed by an unseasonably cold frost or snow spell.

PinkPetalPolygon

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing! (I am sorry about the dream allergies and evil atv wreckingballers! May you be blessed with happier garden dreams in the future!) :mrgreen:

My last garden dream amused me deeply. I remembered it when I was outside and gardening, but did not remember dreaming it until I had been outside to "jog my memory" - it actually happened like a deja vu

But it was a little more than that? I had the thought:
"Hey don't I have a new plant I bought at the store recently to plant?" As I was watering yesterday. I really had the feeling I did!

I saw the plant in my mind, in my hand at the store! I remembered reading the label on the little paper tag in the dirt - heheh, I remembered thinking "oh that's perfect" after reading its descripton

!!! The description on the plant tag actually had a depiction of where I should put the plant in my OWN garden, hahahaha

I have a cement slab in my backyard, and before I cleaned up everything this year, there had been weeds growing between two pieces of cement where a little bit of dirt had accumulated in the cracks. Weeds had grown from the weedy areas, all through the dirt filled cracks.

Anyway, the weeds are long gone! And I cleaned out most of the dirt and put it back where it belongs - it is not really a garden patch at all, just like 1/4th an inch of dirt

And yet! In my dream, the tag on the plant actually had a picture diagram of the two cement slabs in my backyard that said "plant me anywhere, plant me here I don't need much!" (The plant might've been a mint plant!)

And in my dream, after reading the tag, I said, "okay sure!", putting 2 or 3 plants in my dreamy dream cart. (The tag was so persuasive! Even telling me where to put it in my yard personally, lol!)

The next day I am like, "hey where's those plants I just bought that need to go in!?" I even imagined they should be planted in that little crack of dirt.

I laaaaaaaaughed. <3.

PinkPetalPolygon

I had a kinda sorta garden dream last night. :D

Or at least, I saw some amazing plants in my dreams last night!?

I saw lilies like the picture I'm posting... I forget what they are called. I took this picture last year. (The lilies aren't mine though! :P)

In my dream, I was taking a car ride like the car ride I took this weekend to go hiking. It actually WAS the drive to the hike I take the most, hah. I was looking out the car window, and I saw those lilies...

but... they were GIANT, like the biggest lilies I had ever seen, the size of rhinos taller than my car?!

(I'm now wondering just how big lilies get? Goodness.)

In the dream, I told my DH who was driving to look at the huge lilies but as soon as I did, we passed the cluster of "normal colored" huge lilies, and there was a patch of...

the craziest colored lilies I ever thought about (but didn't mean to think about, hah?!) (also ridiculously, intimidatingly huge) :::

the whole plant, leaves & big honking crazy looking lily flower were the same color as a "Dark Opal Purple" basil plant,

which is effectively something like burgundy-purple and in my opinion amazing*!

*burgundy, purple, lavender, pink, into red = I'm intensely bias. <3.

Once again, I didn't remember this dream until I was on the phone talking about plants to my MIL... I was chatting idly, then had the thought to tell her about the lilies I had seen that had been the size of houses !?

Thankfully, I realized it had been a dream before I began. :P
Attachments
IMG_20150308_134841.jpg

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I am intrigued by your Garden Dreams. I hope you keep posting them. I believe that there is some deeper meaning to your dreams. A theme of spiritual growth perhaps.

dowens
Newly Registered

My grandmother died recently and she left me an old grand piano in her will. I don't know what I should do. I could have it restored. But I kind of always wanted to have this kind of enchanted garden and would gladly turn this old grand piano into a pot. I really would like to plant some flowers inside it. What do you guys think?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I saw a picture of a piano waterfall. The water spilled over the keys and into a pond. My friend loved it. I didn't like it because the piano surely would not last very long that way. I could handle a garden art piano made out of metal so that it would hold up. I just can't imagine a real piano covered with water or filled with dirt as a pot.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I saw a picture of an upscaled piano turned into a nice wall mounted bookcase. The legs were removed and the piano box was filled with shelves and mounted flat against the wall, round side up with the piano keys pointing toward the floor.

told2b

Uses for pianos
Attachments
aa0b804769eca049cf7254b2a7bdb22b.jpg
the-world_s-top-10-best-uses-of-old-pianos-5.jpg

b.wright
Newly Registered

I really would like to find some modern garden furniture. In my living room I have furniture from this: https://extremefurniture.uk/ shop and I would like to buy some garden furniture that will match the ones inside my house, since I can see my terrace through the windows. Do you know any place where I can buy modern garden furniture?

dowens
Newly Registered

told2b wrote:Uses for pianos
Thank you! I will defeniately try to do something similar:)

PinkPetalPolygon

I love the repurposed piano ideas. The book shelf one really stuck with me! (Although I could be bias/in intense need of bookcases, haha! The waterfall was pretty awesome too)

It seems like I have nothing but garden dreams now! :shock:

I slept in this morning and it felt like a tossing turning battle against consciousness mixed with... a ton of amateur agriculture? :D

I think my mind actually blended 3 different backyards. (My great aunt, my great grandfather's, & my mother in law's yard.) It was pretty darn great.

It had the size of my great grandfather's yard, especially on the back fence/the back fence existed exactly like it used to (aside from the giant plant I never grew being there), but it also had the layout of my great aunt's yard, and the cleanliness/picturesqueness of my MIL's yard.

And wouldn't you know? I'm getting chills thinking about it: there were dream interpretation of some of the tomatoes I planted this season in real life were in that yard. !!!

I had somehow never seen that garden in that state before, but in my dream, I had also planted that garden then let it go?... but someone had taken care of it while also not harvesting it? (Hahah!)

So as I come upon this garden, everything is perfect and huge... but there are like... uhmmm.. 100 pounds of tomatoes on the vines and maybe like uhm 45 pounds of overripe tomatoes?

oh goodness, the tomatoes, the tomatoes, the tomatoes!

I let my husband pick more of the huge tomatoes in *real life* this year (his mother actually prefers cherry tomatoes but she has health problems, a specific terrible problem that makes it hard for her to bend over/to be able to constantly harvest cherry tomatoes - last year she had half cherry half bigger sized and she kind of didn't like wanting to harvest her favorite tomatoes but not being up to it. This spring she has to have another surgery (this one we are happy for & looking forward to,) and she shouldn't even be touching the garden for a few months - so we planted a lot o huge honkers (large tomatoes, lol) and all the cherry/semi-cherry tomato plants are at my place - I will be more than happy to deliver them to my MIL/garden partner Sue when they are ready. (We just have flowers now, hehe, yay!)

Anywaaay, in my dream, I walked into my great aunt's yard which was all spliced with my MIL and great grandfather's yard

(Last year I made my first garden at my great aunt's house, but I haven't done anything there yet this year.)

In my dream I had been working there and it was ridiculous. there was 15 feet tall tomato plants EVERYWHERE with GIANT tomatoes, some were like... the biggest possible. Or bigger than that.

Like I previously mentioned, everything was bursting ripe or overripe, in my dream, it was kind of like my job to clean up and harvest. I went around touching the tomatoes to see if they were ripe. I felt amazed and overwhelmed and didn't know where to start.

I remember the plant in the back corner in particular... it was growing out the back of my great grandfather's yard. (I used to hang out there, but never gardened anything while there - although I did like watching the 5 different colors of morning glories grow all over hell)

The plant was a mental interpretation of what my aunt ginny's purple tomato, or possibly my pruden's purple (which I have in real life this year!) would look like...

mixed with the purple bell pepper I grew (not that successfully at all) two years ago!?!?! hehe, I didn't know what I was doing and did a ton of things you shouldn't do & ended up with 1 or two terrible bitter peppers. I have since seen the light though/I know what I'm doing now, yay... maybe not as good as my dreams, but hey!)

the plant against the back fence was a 12 feet tall tomato plant with huge honking purple bell peppers 3x the size of my fist :shock:

none of them were overripe either, just shiny, and hard and deep perfect purple, all of the peppers! <3

I didn't even know where to start in the dream, I walked around amazed and overwhelmed if not thrilled! ^_^

oh goodness, & I did see the Aunt Ginny's Purple tomato plant in my dreams too, or at least, I saw the pictures in my dream I got when I googled it? I saw that plant and those tomatoes certainly. Dreamy!!!

How entertaining! Thank the Earth for taking away my bad dreams! :)

PinkPetalPolygon

I dreamed I had an apple tree in my backyard instead of pruning to do. :)

Feel more than free to share your own garden dreams! I started going more into dream introspection here than just reporting the garden dream facts. What better place than "What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere", me rambling ceaselessly about my unconscious visions might belong Nowhere, but here it is in any event. :D

(I once had an apple tree when I was a child, but I was one of those hellions born in a McDonald's playplace who would have [balked] and cried for a .39 cent cheeseburger if you suggested she'd eat an apple instead. I must feel strange about the fact my mother had an apple tree+, but didn't teach her four children that apples were food. So I dream of those apple trees on the regular.

while I was keeper & yet not eater of the apple trees (2 red ones and a crab apple for pollination) - hehe, I actually did bite a crabapple once though, because I had never seen one! eww. and my grandmother DID scold my mother and make applesauce once when she came to visit <3

the one true consolation, in real life, is that sometime when I was ignoring my apple trees, there was a lightning storm or 5... one of our red apple trees got split in half by lightning and killed. I am a true optimist and while I dream about these trees all the time, I have always kept the thought that I would of probably been bitter that [the powers that be] had taken MY apple tree if I had been eating and loving that particular tree.

Also, to add, knock on dead wood, in my dreams there are the two apple trees or at least never any dead ones.

I think I know I would have felt awful about that. To go a step further, my mother was abusive at times. She called me evil. She might've actually thought I was evil. (Hey! If you are what you eat, she definitely raised me 100% garbage evil, heh! Ok, in that regard, she was right, I was made from the ground up evil. ;))

Anyway, when the thought that if I loved the apple tree "the heavens killed as I watched", I might have felt my evil status to be the cause, like I might have believed it to be a sign that my mother was right? :P

(She isn't, wasn't, and I have thankfully since rebuilt myself. And I don't believe either of us were evil, just misguided. I love a good cheeseburger, mmm turkey or pork burger or lean beef? ^_^ but I definitely need to stuff some bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, egg, breadcrumbs, & herbs in there. Yeah yeah yeah sounds like veggie meatloaf, but that's my burger. When I eat a flat only meat burger it hasn't lived up to its potential, imo)

In any event, I have a rose bush in real life in my backyard. I don't know what kind. It is one of my favorite colors, burgundy-ish something. In real life, I thought I was going let it grow bigger/not trim it, but uhh, it rained and that bush went crazy. it's 3 feet into the neighbor's yard (where it's NOT supposed to be) and it's been on my to-do list to fix it for a few days like

I don't want it going 5 feet into their yard and if I don't do something asap it's going 10 feet, hahah.

in my dream, the rosebush hanging into my neighbor's yard, against the back fence was an apple tree my neighbor was more than thrilled to let hang into her yard

(my neighbor hasn't complained, but I live in an apartment-type situation with its own backyard and your plants can't go into other people's yard as a rule, hah)

in the dream, the tree was the same shape/size as my real life rosebush

oooh I saw pictures of my MIL's Sister's Nieces & Nephews yesterday

and I think a girl from those pictures were helping me pick my apples, I should ask their names, I don't think I ever dreamed of anybody's kids after casually looking at a picture of them.

I remember seeing her small hands and how big my apples look in her hands. it was the size of her head.

I actually tasted the apples in my dream !!!

this may be a first

oh gosh, what am I saying? I'll ascertain this IS a first

I've never tasted the freaking apples of my childhood in real life, that's what haunts me specifically, haha

but last night in my dream,
my roses were 2 fist sized apples instead
and I tasted them
and I shared them with children
and the neighbors
and nobody minds overgrown plants with giant fruit when they love fruit
peace on earth
the end <3

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I never have garden dreams. It is nice that you are having so many garden themed dreams. They are fun little short stories. Maybe someday you will write a book about your garden dreams. The title of the book would be 'Garden Dreams' or something similar.

PinkPetalPolygon

What I have growing through the back fence of my yard is now officially a reoccurring dream. (For what that is worth. Hah.)

I did actually pull 2-3 feet of rosebush out of my neighbors yard the last time I pruned it hard!? I didn't even see it, but it had grown inbetween the fences.

Now, in real life, I have kentucky wonder peas (or beans? Don't ask me!) growing on a structure next to the rosebush, and the peas are trying to grow inbetween the fences. I keep having to fish them out and redirect them back onto the trellis. :lol:

I dreampt the peas were growing into the fence. When I woke up I thought, "they aren't growing into the fence, I moved them yesterday"

And yet, viola, the next time I looked at the peas, some of them surely were all up in the fence.

I effectively dreamed of the future! My next waking experience! ;)

Can you tell it's my first time growing climbing pea things? :mrgreen:

I suspect I will have to fish them out of the fence & back onto the trellis the next time I look at them as well.

(Don't worry, though, I have a master plan on were these pea vines are going. Or I gave them room. In theory. :D )

At the very least, the pea/bean/etc vines aren't going to suffocate anybody else.

(Who didn't tell that to the zucchini!? O:) )

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”