applestar
Mod

2016 Pepper Varieties -- whatcha growin?

Sweet Chocoloco is one of my three darkest pepper babies so far. The other two are Black Brant and BTS Ladybug :-()
image.jpeg
2016 Pepper List and seedlings
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (53 KiB) Viewed 3630 times

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I am growing Ace bell peppers and Biscayne cubanelle peppers, which are suited for my climate and produced profusely last year. I am also adding Goddess banana peppers and Numex Suave Orange mild habaneros this year. I started the habs in two sowings 2-3 weeks ago and only have 2 seedlings, which is fine. I am barely holding back starting the rest, I will probably give in tomorrow. Got the clear plastic warming the soil and an exceptionally warm year is forecast.

imafan26
Mod

I recognize 7 peppers on your list , kamo eggplant and roselle. I haven't even heard the names of many of them. Where do you get the seeds from?

Right now I am still growing mostly sweets. Chinese Bell, Yellow bell, monster bell, anaheim, hawaiian tabasco, tabasco, poblano, and mucho nacho jalapeno. I will wait until the night temps are in the 70's or closer to the 80's to start the really hot ones and the ones I don't have a lot of seed from. Since I plant a lot of one variety like yellow bells (100), Korean pepper (100), anaheim (25), poblano (15) plants, I run out of room so I will sell these and plant other varieties. Peppers take up a lot of bench space for a long time. Peppers, eggplant and cilantro take more than one month to mature. 1 gallon pepper pots take 3 months to mature and take up a lot of space so I have to limit the varieties. It is also hard to keep track when I have too many varieties because I cannot tell them apart if they get mixed up and I only have 1 label per tray. I do label them for the sale but the labels are not water proof and they fade quickly.

I have gotten more Hawaiian chili seeds so I need to start more of those and replace my mother plant. The super chili I cut down is growing back healthy so maybe I don't need to replace that one as soon.

The seeds I planted three weeks ago have finally mostly sprouted and some may be ready to pot up soon. Now, I just have to make space on my bench.

I haven't put my order in for peppers yet. I still can't decide
So far on my shopping list
Joe E Parker
Scoth bonnet (if I can find seeds. It is getting harder to find it)
Red Knight
Carmen- This did well for me so I should get more seeds
Thai hot
Mini Bell
Emerald Giant Pepper
Jimmy Nardello Italian Pepper
Red Belgian
cascabella
Chinese giant

applestar
Mod

This year, practically all pepper seeds were obtained in trade. A few are my own saved seeds. I believe some of these are results of hobby breeding efforts -- those are probably the ones you don't recognize at all -- and may or may not be stabilized yet, and since not everybody bags the blossoms and pepper get cross-pollinated easily, they might not always produce true to type. Sometimes the difference is glaring as in sweet vs. hot or color, but sometimes, they are subtle enough to not be a big deal since I'm only growing for myself and not selling them or anything. I know some of these were also original specialty pepper vendor purchased seeds that were split up and shared.

My pepper offerings were meager this year -- I have a whole bunch of saved pepper seeds going back a few years, but I'm still not confident about my pepper seed saving ability and I don't trade with almost any of them. I did finally get two or three varieties to produce fruits without spoiling in tulle bags this summer, and I can be better assured of non-crossed seeds when I save from the blossoms that set in the Winter Indoor Garden. So I was really happy to have overwintered many varieties this year. I'll know better what I have after I find the time to inventory them. :roll:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Seeds in The Mix:

King of the North
Red Knight
Early Sunsation
Giant Marconi
Marconi
Carmen
Anaheim
Garden Salsa
Early Jalapeno
Super Chili
Thai Hot

not one is showing above the soil surface ...

:) Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I don't have as many varieties as last year, and most are old favorites, only a few new ones.

* means at least one of these will be in an Earthbox
OLD:

Ancho
Big Jim Numex
Bulgarian Carrot
Fresno
Hanoi Market
Jalafuego Jalapeño
Lombak*
Maui Purple
Red Savina Habanero*
Superchili
Superthai
Thai Nippon Taka
Thai Red Vesuvius

NEW:

Ancho Tiburon hybrid
Costeño Amarillo*
Craig's Deluxe Trinidad Scorpion*
Craig's Super Chocolate Habanero*
Criolla Sella
Gold Bullet Tall Habanero*
Mohini

Here are my early ones, started on 2-7. Amazing how fast the Trinidad scorpion is growing - obviously a different variety than the one I grew a few years ago, which was slow, and did not produce much at all.

L-R Top: Red Savina (from trade), Gold Bullet. Middle: Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate Habanero. Bottom: Red Savina (from Renee's), Chocolate Habanero.

redneck647

Hot peppers are Cayenne long red thin and habaneros. Not sure if they will both make it to the garden yet or not.
I'm also trying to grow seeds from a bell pepper. My girlfriend insisted that I kept seeds from a green bell pepper that came from the store. I've planted some but have no clue if they will sprout or if they do what will grow.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I'm jealous, I wish I lived in the kind of climate I could grow a huge variety of interesting peppers.

imafan26
Mod

Applestar lives in zone 6, but she is dedicated and grows a lot of them indoors when it gets too cold. Peppers actually do o.k. in pots if you can give them enough light, but they live longer in the ground.

Trinidad scorpion was the easiest of the superhots to grow. Bhut Jolokia was the fussiest requiring the highest temperatures to germinate well. There are a few different kinds of scorpion. I had the regular one not the Butch T.

I have not really had any peppers cross yet and I plant a lot of them a few feet away from each other. I have found though that the new varieties and cultivars can be highly unstable. I have ghost peppers that have no heat and jalapeno M seeds that I bought that had only 1 in 5 peppers actually have any heat at all. Early had better heat than Jalapeno M, and early is supposed to be less hot.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I am a zone 6 but I am further North than most zone 6's. It is more temperate because we are coastal, but the seasons are shorter and the nighttime summer temperatures cooler than most zone 6's. We can have frosts here until about May 1st. Also, 6-8 hours sun depending on the month is the best I have, I am sure it would be better if I had a spot that gets more sun as well.

I am sure I could have at least some success with many varieties but when there are suited varieties that do excellently I tend to want to stick to those than plant things that will barely produce.

imafan26
Mod

I get that. Hawaiian chilies are the mainstay here because everyone knows them and they are reliable. They can also live for many years. I have some that are 8-10 years old. Superchili is my main pepper and I like them better than the Hawaiian because I actually get some. The birds will totally cap a Hawaiian chili if it isn't caged. I am converting people to growing super chili because it has similar heat to Hawaiian chili and is bigger so the birds usually can't eat them all. Thai peppers have survived and are thriving in year 2 and the local bred Jalapeno gave out after about 3 years. I have had habanero's live over. Bell peppers for the most part are very short lived. I am lucky to get 8 peppers out of them. The local Kaala bell was the only one disease tolerant enough to make it through a second year but the peppers were tiny. Trinidad scorpion and Carolina Reaper lived over as well.

applestar
Mod

I'm still in the "try them all once and see what I get" phase. I noticed I didn't even sow some of the ones that I liked because I've grown them already....

@Peter1142 -- check out the SIP thread in Container Gardening forum. Like Pepperhead212 referenced, Earthbox, Earthtainer, and Global Bucket type sub-irrigated/self watering containers with even moisture, above-ground=warm root zone, and availability of a large supply of pre-calculated fertilizer in the growing mix seem to make a tremendous difference in pepper (and eggplant) performance in cooler than optimum climate.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I will check that out, thanks.

imafan26
Mod

Yes, it is true. Peppers are slow to start but by month three they have done a lot of growing and will put on peppers almost continuously until it gets too hot or they get disease. I feed my potted peppers monthly with fast release fertilizer, but since I am bad about being on schedule, I have slow release fertilizer in the pots too. I pot up from the 4 inch pots to gallons by 6 weeks and after the first fruit set, I have to pot up again any peppers I want to keep longer. 5 gallon pots work best. The longer lived ones can stay in that for up to 4 years. They live longer in the ground.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

This year I have started

Yellow Carolina Reaper
Chocolate Carolina Reaper
Carolina Reaper
Red Peter
Orange Peter
Yellow Peter
Alma Paprika
Paprika
Anaheim
Early Jalapeno
Super Chile
Hungarian Hot Wax
Long Slim Cayenne
North King Bell
Sweet Gourmet
Early Sunsation
Prik Chi Faa
Quadralo Red Bell

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

This is what I've started:

Thai Full Moon (from carelessly saved seed, so...?)
Thai Vesuvius (see above)
Indian Jwala
Hungarian Wax (aka hot banana in my book)
Spanish Padron
California Wonder (bell)

Not going to bother with the Carolina reapers or habs....I grew both last year as a novelty, but I just don't use enough of those to justify the garden space.

Greywolf

I saved three Habernos at the end of last year, bringing them indoors, I also have a UPP (Unidentified Pepper Plant) that may be a Tobasco. It never produced last year, so this year I guess we'll see

24 Poblano sprouts
24 Cascabella sprouts
32 Cascabel sprouts

(hopefully. Not all are up yet)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here are those early peppers I started on 2-7, along with the pea eggplants, started on 2-1, showing how fast they are growing.

3-7:

3-17:

3-21:

3-26:

I will soon be re-potting these, for sure!

Rue Barbie

I'm going all out this year with Numex Joe E. Parkers. I've got about 30 to 35 (edit - that is in one bed, closer to 55 total thus far) in the ground already, some close to a foot tall. Plus a few mulatos and anchos. I've got more Joe Parkers too small to go out yet.

I want more than I can deal with. I want to be flame-roasting till I collapse in sheer exhaustion. I want a freezer full of the goodies.
Last edited by Rue Barbie on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelC

I think I know why my peppers had such a hard time last season, and under the advisement of my nursery (Love Apple Farms) I'm going to hold off until May to plant them in the ground.

This year I have:

Antohi Romanian
California Wonder
Purple Jalepeño
Jimmy Nardello
Padron
Sweet Banana Goddess

Yes, we are a sweet pepper family. Hoping for better luck this season!

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

I need to branch out and try some more obscure peppers, but I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. So far, I'm growing Serrano, California Wonder, and Padrons. I can't live without Padrons. I started a bunch in six-packs and birds ate the tiny babies. So I gave up and bought seedlings of both bell peppers (can't remember the variety) and Padrons and planted them. I left the six-packs outside, the weather warmed up, and now more seeds have sprouted in the six-packs and I have no idea which is which! We'll see. I sure wish they were all Padrons though.

Tell me, how close together do you plant your pepper plants? My 18 inches ended up being more like 2' and now I'm kicking myself that they are so far apart...

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We used to grow lots of heirloom peppers, but we couldn't find uses for them all, and people just wouldn't take them. I tried to dehydrate them once, and came home to a houseful of teargas! Never doing that again!

Now we just grow what we like and what we know we can use!

Jalapeño
Sweet bells
Red and yellow Marconi
And Big Bertha

imafan26
Mod

I have started some big Jim New Mex, more mucho nacho jalapenos, Hawaiian chilies, serrano, fushimi sweet, Scotch bonnet, mirasol, poblano, banana, and it is getting warm enough to try some of the reapers. I have some red pod on the plant now.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:shock: don't put the reapers in the food dehydrator!!! :eek:

imafan26
Mod

No problem, I don't have a dehydrator. I don't dry peppers to plant them. I just have to put on some gloves and break open the pots over the community pot and put the pot where the birds can't get to them.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We just had so many! I wanted to dry them to preserve them. It was so bad! We had to spend the night at the emergency vet. They were fine, but they're mucus membranes were irritated...

applestar
Mod

This
VVV

Subject: What to do with an assortment of hot peppers
applestar wrote:I started a small batch (a pint jar) to make fermented pepper sauce. Diced dried/semi dried hot peppers and fresh sweet peppers. All intensely red. I'll post a picture once they start bubbling. For this one, I added some honey and garlic, a bit of wine yeast, a bit of fresh salsa liquid.... 8)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Will fermentation just be part of a later canning process, AppleStar?

Do you plan storage without further processing? Just refrigeration, perhaps ...

Shouldn't apples be included? Maybe apple cider? "5 Star AppleScorcher" ..?

Steve :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

apples be included? Maybe apple cider? "5 Star AppleScorcher" ..?
YAAAAAAS!!!

We talked about making some type of fermented sauce. I may try it with red jalapeños at the end of the year. The recipe I looked up last year was just puréed chiles and salt. I seem to remember you making some this way before? Maybe I'm just recalling the blog.....

CountryLadies sent me some chile seeds. I may give them a go!

applestar
Mod

I wanted to grow Korean peppers for making Korean gochu galu chili powder. Kitazawaseed seeds listed two varieties for them for this year, and I was going to get them... but I missed my chance and had given up on growing them until next year.

Then today, I was at H-mart -- a Korean/Asian supermarket, and they were selling racks of vegetable seedlings by their front window :-()

They had several different peppers. I picked up this one and another one labeled Medium Hot Pepper just in case.
image.jpeg
But this is the one Image -- I ran the photos through Google Translate app and got this :()

고추 가루 용 고추
gochu galu yong gochu
Pepper for chili powder

applestar
Mod

This appears to be an actual variety. When I searched with just the two Korean characters, all I got was "rust colored" but when I grabbed the word for "pepper" from the first one and added it, Google spit out the seed packet image. Image

녹광
noggwang

녹광고추

Pepper Lip nokgwang 1200
https://www.gardenmart.kr/shop/data/0/0049_00007.jpg
1. favorite fruiting, hypertrophy in many early jeoongi greenhouse quantity. 2. Internode (between the nodes of the leaves) is short and stick to easy cultivation management. 3. small changes in fruit shape is extremely excellent gloss. 4. The texture is crunchy and less spicy.
Description translated by Google auto translator

MOFishin

I'm crazy about peppers! :) Peppers and tomatoes are my main priorities in the garden. If my zucchini, corn and beans produce, that's just a bonus.
This is my second full year of gardening. I plan to try more exotic/uncommon varieties next year.
This is what I have this year as far as peppers go:
8 jalapeno
8 cayenne
4 Serrano
4 sweet banana
4 golden California wonder
1 tobasco
1 ghost

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Went to big box store yesterday and impulse bought 2 chilies.
Hybrids, so not like what I'd normally grow, but they were impulse buys.
I got:

Havasu and Cajun belle.

I think these will make a nice MILD fermented chili sauce! You've inspired me to try something new!

imafan26
Mod

I just potted up some Hawaiian chile, habanero, and mucho nacho jalapeno into 4 inch pots.

For the sale this Saturday I have orange and red habanero, anaheim, cayenne, serrano, mucho nacho jalapeno, Hawaiian chili, poblano, and a few Korean peppers.

In the herb garden the Thai chiliie have pods on them in my back yard the Carolina reaper and super chile have ripe red ones. I have a Chinese Giant bell that is slowly growing. I didn't think it would take so long, but that is ok. I don't need it yet.

Unfortunately the thrips and mites are back deforming the new leaves on the jalapeno peppers.

applestar
Mod

What kind of mites do you get on your peppers?

MOFishin

MOFishin wrote:I'm crazy about peppers! :) Peppers and tomatoes are my main priorities in the garden. If my zucchini, corn and beans produce, that's just a bonus.
This is my second full year of gardening. I plan to try more exotic/uncommon varieties next year.
This is what I have this year as far as peppers go:
8 jalapeno
8 cayenne
4 Serrano
4 sweet banana
4 golden California wonder
1 tobasco
1 ghost
I've added 4 habanero plants to this.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I started CalWonder and Orange Mini Bell from seed. I attempted jalapeno so kindly sent from the webmaster a while back, but they failed to germinate. :( Yesterday, I impulse-bought Cute Stuff Red mini bells that I'll stick in containers. I liked the name, and you can't have empty containers, no sir! ;)

I had a brain fart last fall - after prepping my two hot peppers for overwintering (Cayennetta and Apache) I basically forgot about them and the frost killed them. I'll have to look up to see if bells can be overwintered, or if that's desirable.

cruisin_psu

Wow, some folks in this thread are pepper crazy :) Jealous of some your varieties.. some day when I have more space!

Right now we just planted the following: Golden Cal Wonder, Serrano, and Hungarian Wax

The Golden Cal Wonder and Serrano seem a little stunted.. but I'm a newbie and not sure what to expect yet. I'll start another thread!

imafan26
Mod

I grew Korean peppers somebody gave me a packet of seeds. He said they would not grow for him. The packet was in Korean and I can't read that but it had a similar picture. It looks like a shorter fatter cayenne but the flavor is mildly hot. My Korean friend says they don't use very hot peppers to make kimchee, they just like a little bit of heat. They add cayenne powder if they want it hotter.

In summer I get mostly spider mites. They get on everything tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and ornamentals. I have treated the hibiscus for erineum mites that come out April-June so at least the hibiscus has leaves now instead of stubs.

Spider mites are difficult to control and their predators don't seem to be able to keep up with them. I lop off the tops with the worst damage and hose down the foliage as much as possible. Sulfur and pyrethrins work but it is hard to use it in the summer heat and pryrethins will knock down the predators too, so I only use it as a last resort. I do use alcohol and it seems to help. Eventually, what will finally get rid of them is a really good knock down drenching rain.

I planted Carolina Reapers, but I think they may be unstable. Some of the pods made my nose run but others I barely noticed.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Some of the pods made my nose run but others I barely noticed.
Shoooooo WEEE!

Sure wish I'd saved you some seed from the ones we grew! I could look at the things and start sweatin!

Return to “Pepper Forum”