lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Re: Let the 2016 Games Begin

Wow, 700 starts. Did they all sell?

imafan26
Mod

No, but I sold close to 500.

I gave away someThai eggplant because I had a lot of them and they are not that easy to sell. They are mostly for Indian and Vietnamese and Thai curries. The vegetables sold (tomatoes, cucumbers) and they were the ones that would not keep. Most of the herbs will keep, some peppers, onions, and eggplant need to be potted up. Some of the plants will be planted out in the gardens. Some of the papaya will go out into the orchard and I will plant some of the fennel, sunflowers, parsley, and peppers out into the herb garden.

I will have to rehome some Kale and I have already found a home for the bok choy that got too big to sell and I put the beets that matured too early into my garden.

I have already started planning and planting for next month. Our sales are on the second Saturday from 9-12 Feb-October, and I get about a months respite before I have to start planning for the next sale. I started planting for the February sale on Dec 12, 2015. From now on, I will be planting one or two months ahead of the sale. Around September or October, I really reduce what I grow and just try to clear off the benches so they can get their annual bleaching.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here it 35 degrees today and a foot of snow on the ground. Be a while before planting outdoors. You folks are getting me fired up to try something in a tray though. I don't have a green house, so whatever I plant will go in the living room window. The wife lets me do a few things without a big fuss, but I don't want to turn the living room into a greenhouse.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Here it 35 degrees today and a foot of snow on the ground.
While you are checking out the cold temps and beautiful white mountains, what do you think about this?

I read an article in the Birmingham News that tried to dispel some Tomato Growing Myths. Basically the guy said

1. don't plant deep
2. don't mulch too early
3. epson salt does nothing
4. do not prune
5. don't go by Good Firday as plant date.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I agree with jal-ut. It is hard to sit on ones hands. You guys sound like you are doing great and make it sound like so much fun. But I too have a foot of snow/ice on the ground still, maybe more and still getting below zero temps except this weekend is suppose to be 30's and freezing rain.

I think I will start some hot peppers next week, last year they were really slow and were just getting going well and the hard freeze came in the fall.

As far as this, I think it really depends on where you are located. So far, for me all those things are true.

1. don't plant deep
2. don't mulch too early
4. do not prune
5. don't go by Good Firday as plant date

applestar
Mod

lakngulf wrote:
jal_ut wrote:Here it 35 degrees today and a foot of snow on the ground.
I read an article in the Birmingham News that tried to dispel some Tomato Growing Myths. Basically the guy said...
:-() Oh! OH! MEE!!! MEEE!!! -- can I jump in and answer? :>

1. don't plant deep

-- in cold, late spring areas, deeper ground soil is not as warmed up by the sun and colder/wetter, but in areas where summer is very hot, [p]lanting deeper could keep the roots dry cooler (which helps to keep the plant cooler -- geothermal effect).
-- in areas with frequent rain and clay soil, planting deep could be disastrous
BUT -- In most cases, planting tomatoes "deeper" by burying some of the stem will help them grow more roots along the stem and a bigger root system, but it doesn't have to be "deeper" but a shallow trench or diagonal hole could work too.

2. don't mulch too early

-- in cold, late spring area, mulching too early can keep the sun from warming up the soil. Even in my area, I don't mulch heavily at least until I hoe down the first bunch of early weeds like chickweed and dead nettle. Then THEY become part of the mulch.

-- I think this depends on existing mineral content of the soil. Magnesium Sulfate obviously adds magnesium and sulfur. A couple of benefits I remember off the top of my head -- Magnesium balances the calcium uptake and absorption and Sulfur can lower pH. Epsom Salt also somehow helps Nitrogen absorption (can't remember how) and greens up yellowed seedlings due to nutrient deficiency, exposure to cold, etc. TOO MUCH epsom salt can interfere with osmosis and "burn" the plant.

4. do not prune

-- don't prune what? Lower leaves that touch the ground or are likely to be splashed up? Suckers below first flower truss? Diseased leaves? Don't prune excessive foliage and vines for better air circulation to prevent fungal disease? don't prune determinate variety tomatoes? (I agree with the last one).

5. don't go by Good Friday as plant date

-- that's plain silly. Good Friday is based on lunar calendar and can occur on widely ranging calendar date. It would be surprising if the seasonal weather cooperated and coincided from year to year. Around here, people talk about Mother's Day and Memorial Day, but those are a little iffy too since they occur on 2nd Sunday and last Monday of May. Pick another holiday. :lol:
Last edited by applestar on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typos! How did I not see them before?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Most of it makes good sense. I plant way before Good Friday, sometimes it works, but those tomatoes like warm soil. I have always planted deep thinking that would help roots, but the guys discussion of the soil being cold in March/April down deep makes a lot of sense. I will plant early tomatoes shallow or laying down

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Good advice applestar. For tomatoes, you can bend the stem a little and plant horizontal rather than vertical too!

As long as there is no frost, tomatoes are fairy cold tolerant IME, and resilient, and though they may be unhappy for a little while they should survive anything else temperature wise.

applestar
Mod

For planting shallow, best technique I've tried so far has been to lay the individual containers of seedlings on their sides or at an angle or tilt the tray of seedlings at an angle by leaning it on something for a while before planting.

Since it's best to acclimate them to where they will be planted, easiest way has been to make a V-trench in the bed to position them at a desired angle supported by the soil of the trench or -- this is more typical for me -- to lean them/set them against the side of wide raised rows for the last day and night before planting. The tops of the seedlings will naturally respond to the new gravitational orientation and grow upward and "sideways".

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"1. don't plant deep
2. don't mulch too early
4. do not prune
5. don't go by Good Firday as plant date."

I will agree.

On number 1. if you have tall spindly plants, which sometimes happens if grown with out
sufficient light, you can lay them in a trench to bury some of the stem, but not put the roots
deep.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I confess, I do have two tomato plants growing in little pots in the living room. I started them about January 1. They are not doing much, act like they would love some real sunshine. Here with short days and behind glass, they just don't get enough sun. I have put no artificial light on them. They are not liking these conditions. They are spindly and sickly looking. We will see what they do.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:For planting shallow, best technique I've tried so far has been to lay the individual containers of seedlings on their sides or at an angle or tilt the tray of seedlings at an angle by leaning it on something for a while before planting.

Since it's best to acclimate them to where they will be planted, easiest way has been to make a V-trench in the bed to position them at a desired angle supported by the soil of the trench or -- this is more typical for me -- to lean them/set them against the side of wide raised rows for the last day and night before planting. The tops of the seedlings will naturally respond to the new gravitational orientation and grow upward and "sideways".
Good ideas! I guess I got it from my folks that the deeper I plant the more roots the tomato can form. But if it is too cold down toward China then I guess that defeats the purpose. I will definitely use the horizontal method for my mid March planting. I think I will have some spindly plants that should like that method.

On another note, I have always used wire hoops made of concrete reinforcement wire. Well, my normal procedure is to push the cage down into the soil around the plant, and turn it a few times to get the cage set into the soil. A few years back I had some crazy spindly plants and needed to plant them horizontal, so I did. I grabbed a cage and went about my normal procedure, twisted the cage and cut right through the tomato plant. Have to be careful with that.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I confess, I do have two tomato plants growing in little pots in the living room.
OK, so you have beautiful mountain views AND tomato plants! What variety of tomato do you plant?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Variety? Better Boy, Celebrity, Sweet Baby Girl. Have also used Early girl. The new one called Celebration Hybrid looks interesting. Have to see if I can find some seed? Here I need to stick with those in the 70 to 72 day maturation date claims.
Even the 72 day tomatoes take closer to 80-85 days in this climate and that is about all the frost free time I have.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

It has been so, so long since I've been able to garden for real, and I haven't into the forums in forever. I should probably reintroduce myself, but oh well. Hi again anyway :D

After many years of unsuccessfully being able to work my friends not-so-good soil (who owns the house I'm renting a room from) I'm going with all container gardening this year. Found some large 2 foot deep pots at home depot on sale for 9.99 that we drilled holes into on the bottom of for drainage and I've repurposed into planters for my veggies. Plan on buying more this year to accommodate all the plants I'm going to try and grow. Already got a rainwater collection system going, because I've seen the huge difference it makes for my prayer plant and the orchid I have going so I have a feeling things might get a bit crazy :mrgreen:

While it's way, way too early for me to even think about tomatoes, squashes, etc I'm starting a few seeds today of the things I have the most trouble with and those that seem to grow the most slowly. Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Peppers. We shall see what happens from here! The rest I'll start near the end of March, when I get home from vacation, and I will probably find an extra large container or two in addition to see if I can manage to grow a pumpkin in a container, even though my chances are slim.

I do have to admit that it feels really, really good to get my hands dirty with soil again. Makes me happy. I'm going to see if I can find some prolific, pretty flowers that can take mostly shade and plant them in the raised beds in the back, so it isn't just empty and sad in the backyard anymore.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote:After many years of unsuccessfully being able to work my friends not-so-good soil (who owns the house I'm renting a room from) I'm going with all container gardening this year.
I do have to admit that it feels really, really good to get my hands dirty with soil again. Makes me happy. I'm going to see if I can find some prolific, pretty flowers that can take mostly shade and plant them in the raised beds in the back, so it isn't just empty and sad in the backyard anymore.
Good luck with the container gardening. I have some large tubs that came from a farm nearby. They were used for a protein lick block. They have worked well, but even, consistent watering is a challenge.

Here is a picture of some pots with tomato plants last summer

SPierce
Greener Thumb

lakngulf wrote:
SPierce wrote:After many years of unsuccessfully being able to work my friends not-so-good soil (who owns the house I'm renting a room from) I'm going with all container gardening this year.
Good luck with the container gardening. I have some large tubs that came from a farm nearby. They were used for a protein lick block. They have worked well, but even, consistent watering is a challenge.

Here is a picture of some pots with tomato plants last summer

Looks lovely! A lot nicer than mine (admittedly) is going to look! He doesn't have a lot of landscaping, and neither of us have a lot of time to do yard related things... What size are your containers? I luckily haven't had much of an issue with watering, and the things I've tried to grow in these in the past have never had a problem. More likely to be killed by bugs than water, but how do you water them typically?

applestar
Mod

Great to see you back @SPierce! :D
Looking forward to hearing about your garden this year. ...and I know what you mean about playing in the dirt. :wink: it's my therapy for sure.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Great to see you back @SPierce! :D
Looking forward to hearing about your garden this year. ...and I know what you mean about playing in the dirt. :wink: it's my therapy for sure.
Thank you! I will hopefully have something to post about, finally. Typically I start posting, etc. then I end up ashamed at how bad my plants are doing, so I slink away... hope this year will be better and busy! :D I've had the best luck with the containers out of all the years, so this year I'm going all out. Wish I could really do corn in containers, though, but unless someone does a mini corn hybrid, I don't think it's possible :(

applestar
Mod

Haha you might want to look in these threads -- see what you miss when you are away for a year? :wink:

Subject: What Can I Grow In a Container?
albopepper wrote:I had good success in my 1st year with corn.

I fit 11 corn stalks per 30 gallon SIP tote:

I'm gonna do it again this year!

Subject: Self Watering Container and Sub-irrigated Planter
albopepper wrote:Here are examples of things grown in my 30 gallon SIP totes, without using any plastic cover at all:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Haha you might want to look in these threads -- see what you miss when you are away for a year? :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock: OMG. I am so, so, SO doing that! I am I am! I've bought corn seeds in the past, but the spacing requirements for them always was so far apart, I couldn't fit them in the containers I had. Now that I know it can be done, though, I totally need to try! Thank you for pointing that out!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote: OMG. I am so, so, SO doing that! I am I am! I've bought corn seeds in the past, but the spacing requirements for them always was so far apart, I couldn't fit them in the containers I had. Now that I know it can be done, though, I totally need to try! Thank you for pointing that out!
I forgot to measure my big green pots, but one year I attempted to grow all three sisters in a pot: corn, squash and beans. I had about 5-6 corn stalks and they did well. The other stuff not so much

imafan26
Mod

I planted my first corn of the year today. I planted UH #10. They were 2015 seeds so I am hoping they are still good. I will find out in about a week.
My beets are starting to bulb up and the onions are growing. I am harvesting Suyo cucumbers and my kai choy cabbage is definitely ready. I am still getting some napa grapes and my new tomato seedlings are in flower.

I was getting a bit worried because my seeds had taken so long to germinate, but it looks like now the cucumbers are coming up. The colder nights this month has slowed things up a bit. I took some bay leaf cuttings the other day and the calamondin and lemon trees are starting to flower and flush.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:I was getting a bit worried because my seeds had taken so long to germinate, but it looks like now the cucumbers are coming up. The colder nights this month has slowed things up a bit. I took some bay leaf cuttings the other day and the calamondin and lemon trees are starting to flower and flush.
What, to you, is the definition of "colder nights"? I actually ran my heater in the green house a couple of nights recently because our temps were near freezing, and I have some tomato and pepper plants that I did not want to suffer. Greenhouse is not so air tight so hard to heat, but a little one burner propane heater did ok. When I went out to turn it off the outdoor temp was 36 and inside the greenhouse was 50.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

lakngulf wrote:
SPierce wrote: OMG. I am so, so, SO doing that! I am I am! I've bought corn seeds in the past, but the spacing requirements for them always was so far apart, I couldn't fit them in the containers I had. Now that I know it can be done, though, I totally need to try! Thank you for pointing that out!
I forgot to measure my big green pots, but one year I attempted to grow all three sisters in a pot: corn, squash and beans. I had about 5-6 corn stalks and they did well. The other stuff not so much
I tend to keep the plants nearby eachother, but all in separate pots. Still on the search for a largeish container where I can plant multiple corn stalks. We'll see!

No peppers have come up yet (probably won't, since I have trouble with them every year!) but my brussells sprouts and brocolli seeds have started sprouting. They just came through yesterday, so I'm excited to see what happens with the others...

imafan26
Mod

I do not have a greenhouse or a heating mat so I germinate everything outside on my nursery bench. When the temperature drops below 68 degrees peppers do not germinate very well or very fast. February has been in the low 60's to high 50's at night. That is enough to slow every thing down. Day temps are in the 70's. Great for the cool season crops but it was warm enough in January for the eggplant to flower, but the fruit now is taking an eternity to grow. When it is warmer, I will get 8-10 eggplant in as many days. I don't have to worry about freezes, but it can still get cold enough to keep things from growing normally.

I plant my corn closer than 30 inches, more like 18 inches and I get 1 or 2 ears per plant. I get more if I bag the tassels and hand pollinate them. I have not experienced no ears on the inside corn very much except when I left 2 cornstalks in the same hole. I usually have at least one or two ears that can't decide to be cobs or tassels though and that happens all of the time. I don't have as much space and I only have room now for about 39 plants. In a bad year I got only 20 ears but usually I get about 40-50 but they won't all be big or full. When I had my whole half garden I consistently would plant 47 plants and get 67 ears. Not anymore though, the aloe and jamaican oregano have taken over 1/3 of the space. I am going to have to move them somewhere else someday.

MockY

I started my Tomatoes and Peppers the 21st of December. The tomatoes have now totally outgrown my growroom (I need to start by the end of January next year - you live and learn) and badly need to be planted into the garden. The peppers I've cut back to make them branch out, so they are still not too tall. Problem is, it's a tad too cold still (40 at night and 72 during the day) and the garden currently is producing an abundance of food. I need to sacrifice some of it unfortunately. Spinach is so prolific that eating it and making smoothies every day does not make a big enough dent to keep up with the growth, so I'm thinking I will remove half of it in order to make room for some of the tomatoes.
Some of the brassicas won't have enough time to produce, so I'm probably going to juice the leaves. I'll find a way somehow...it's just hard to remove perfectly good crops. I need more beds....

I took a picture from my roof of the garden little over 2 weeks ago. It has grown much more since then due to more sun and heat, especially the different lettuces in the keyhole bed (it's amazing how big they get in just 2 weeks) and beans and carrots have germinated and started to fill in the voids.
bed.jpg
2016-02-20 12.03.07.jpg
Some of the tomatoes bathing in the sun. Obviously, 2 weeks ago is a long time, so they are inconveniently larger now.

imafan26
Mod

I just got my order from Johnny's Seeds today. I called it in only a few days ago, this was really fast. Especially when you consider in Hawaii there is no such thing as express mail. Two days is the best I can get.

I ordered
Parthenon zucchini-I am trying it to see if I get a better yield with a zucchini that does not require pollination
Tigress zucchini is supposed to do better in the south. I am in the south and way west.
Carmen peppers- They did really well last year and they are a good frying and stuffing pepper.
Mellow Star- Shishito pepper.

Of course they sent this beautiful catalog with it and now I want more.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

MockY wrote:I started my Tomatoes and Peppers the 21st of December. The tomatoes have now totally outgrown my growroom (I need to start by the end of January next year - you live and learn) and badly need to be planted into the garden. The peppers I've cut back to make them branch out, so they are still not too tall.
HURRY UP Springtime!!!

I am with you MockY. I started some tomatoes mid December and now have some beautiful plants. Of course, I have started more every 1st and 15th of the month since, so I will have all shapes and sizes. The earliest ones are in great shape and probably will be up-potted in the greenhouse. Today, working around them it was such a pleasant odor when I rubbed against the tomato leaves.

Here are my earliest tomatoes

I am glad to have started peppers early. Always hard to get them going but this year I have some Bell, multi colored Bell, Banana and Jalapeno coming along nicely. Here are some of the smaller peppers and tomatoes.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Man vs Raccoon --- Phase I

This year I hope that the raccoons and squirrels will share some of the fresh corn with me. I have installed some slippery tin around the small pier to give them a challenge. I know they are resourceful and will find the weak point, but maybe it will take a little time.

At the very least I want the old timer raccoons to tell their grandkids "What do you mean you cannot get into that corn patch? Why, let me tell you what I had to traverse back in 2016"

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Well, I left on vacation (7 days ago) and when I left, only a few broccoli and brussels sprouts had come up - maybe 5 total?

Well, I came back and EVERY seed that I had planted sprouted, so I now have roughly 15-17 Brussels Sprouts plants, 7 sweet bell peppers of random varities and 6 Broccoli's. I have no idea what to do with them or where to put them - I had them started in my bedroom window in little pots of soil. Guess I have my work cut out for me though and have to buy new containers to plant them in outside :D I do hope all do well enough to produce at least a little unlike last year. I also better be more careful when I go to start my non cold weather/more quickly growing plants so I don't end up with an excess

imafan26
Mod

One of my broccoli is making a flower. It is about 2 inches now. DeCicco does not make a large head but it does put out side shoots of mini broccoli.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

MockY wrote:
2016-02-20 12.03.07.jpg
Some of the tomatoes bathing in the sun. Obviously, 2 weeks ago is a long time, so they are inconveniently larger now.
MockY, how are those large tomatoes doing? I could not stand it and had to put some of these in the ground last week. The stems were very sturdy and healthy, but I planted them horizontal because they were so long, and that would give them more warmth in these spring days.

I planted them on my small pier, where I get the most sun this time of the year

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote:Well, I left on vacation (7 days ago) and when I left, only a few broccoli and brussels sprouts had come up - maybe 5 total?

Well, I came back and EVERY seed that I had planted sprouted, so I now have roughly 15-17 Brussels Sprouts plants, 7 sweet bell peppers of random varities and 6 Broccoli's.
Sounds like your "green thumb" is working. Good luck with them

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:One of my broccoli is making a flower. It is about 2 inches now. DeCicco does not make a large head but it does put out side shoots of mini broccoli.
Always good when a plan comes together.

Greywolf

An update on how things are going....

PS: lakngulf - You are quoting Hannibal Smith, I believe

The grand total at this point is about 28 tomato plants, 24 Poblano peppers - though some have not come up yet, 25 or so Cascabella (semi mild yellow, think "Garden Gem"), about 32 Cascabel, 5 lettuce plants, two spinach plants, and a pair of Giant Thai Elephant Ear plants all indoors

Or around 125 houseplants right now... :mrgreen:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

lakngulf wrote:
SPierce wrote:Well, I left on vacation (7 days ago) and when I left, only a few broccoli and brussels sprouts had come up - maybe 5 total?

Well, I came back and EVERY seed that I had planted sprouted, so I now have roughly 15-17 Brussels Sprouts plants, 7 sweet bell peppers of random varities and 6 Broccoli's.
Sounds like your "green thumb" is working. Good luck with them
Thanks! I've been told by all my family (I'm the only one that still gardens, gets plants, etc regularly) that I take after my Grandmother, Grandfather and Grandfather (farmers and gardeners). I do admit I tend to have a bit of a green thumb :mrgreen:

Greywolf

Something someone said at a different website set me off. I told them not to grow different kinds of tomato plants close enough together to cross-pollinate. They shot back a lot of stuff about how it only changes the seeds - and I said:

"Alright, but that doesn't explain the two years I grew zucchini and crookneck summer squash together and wound up with GIGANTIC YELLOW CROOK NECK SUMMER SQUASH..."

And they shot back a lot of more stuff.....

SO what I have just done is this: I sent for two packs each of HEIRLOOM crookneck and zucchini seeds from this website:
https://heirloomseeds.com/

I intend to grow them "ONE PLANT THIS, THE NEXT PLANT THAT, ETC..." so that they are fully mixed together as far as pollination. O:)

I'll be taking pictures/videos of the whole thing :mrgreen:

~Just to prove the point.

What do you think is going to happen? Place your bets!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Greywolf wrote:Just to prove the point.

What do you think is going to happen? Place your bets!
I plant yellow straight neck and green zucchini side by side and wide up with green/yellow striped zucchini. I like it!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"What do you think is going to happen? Place your bets!"

The HEIRLOOM Crookneck will produce crookneck squash.

The Zucchini will produce zucchini.

The pollen falling on the flowers does not change the fruit characteristics this season!
Now if you same some seeds from this planting for next year............... You will get some interesting mixes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”