banana123
Newly Registered

Blueberry Bushes

So this very nice gentleman is trying to sell me some blueberry bushes - $8 a pot essentially and they are 3 years old. They should give me around 5lbs of fruit each. Here are the varieties he is offering me: New Hanover, Legacy, Onslow and Columbus. Has anyone had any experience with these varieties? How will they do in 7b, NC do you think?

JONA
Mod

Re: Blueberry Bushes

Hi banana,
I can't comment from this side of the pond on your varieties ...but Blueberies do require extremely low PH soil. Below 5 is ideal. So if you are planting into open ground you will have to check your soil and adjust as needed. Or....large pots in low PH soil.
John

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

I don't have experience w/those specific varieties. Where I'm at $8 a pot is a good price. Looks like they are a mix of southern and northern highbush. I would go for it.
Avoid predictable disaster caused by unpredictable events, keep yourself open to positive outcomes from improbable events. -Aaron C. Brown

blueberrythrill
Newly Registered

It a great price on newer variety, mostly southern highbush (SHB) developed ant NCSU. Unfortunately, they are more demanding to grow than rabbiteye. Legacy is the exception - it grows more like a rabbiteye. SHB require a low PH, a lot of organic matter and the proper amount of moisture. I grow both rabbiteye and SHB in zone 7B just outside greensboro, NC

applestar
Mod

I live just north of the cutoff for southern varieties, and that might be why none of those sound familiar. But if they are like the ones I know, one thing to verify is that at least two of the varieties bloom/crop at the same time to insure you have varieties that pollinize each other.

If some of them bloom/crop earlier or later in the season, you can spread out the harvest/blueberry season by getting those different varieties.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

blueberrythrill
Newly Registered

Banana

Can you put me in touch with the guy selling the blueberry? I would like to try several of these newer variety and I reallyu like the price.

Here is a good link from NCSU on blueberry production which includes several of the variety on your list:
https://www.cefs.ncsu.edu/newsevents/eve ... 100212.pdf

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”