Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Walking Egyptians.........have arrived.

Package arrived today, it looks like onions sets. Someone that no speak good English rote this paper. LOL It is funny to read this.

Walking Egyptians grown perennial in bed. Hardy bulbs set bulbs set on stalks. Air bound set will sprout new smaller stalks. Fall over hence Walking.......LOL :D :D :D OK, there is more, I am still laughing but NO planting instruction.

Can I plant these now, 40 degrees & sunny today, warmer every day, 62 and sunny Saturday.

At the moment my garden is under water the 8" snow we had is almost melted and too cold to plant rice in this swamp.

My idea is, 4" apart, full sun, maybe the soil should be elevated to stay above water level?
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

Sorry me no speak like an Egyptian.
They come from Canada so they are winter hardy and also explains why I never see any here. I did find a site about them. It was very interesting apparently you can plant them anytime as long as the soil is not soggy.
https://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Sorry me no speak like an Egyptian.
They come from Canada so they are winter hardy and also explains why I never see any here. I did find a site about them. It was very interesting apparently you can plant them anytime as long as the soil is not soggy.
https://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/
Good information. This is the only place that told me about soil, what the onions like, and that I can plant now. The hardest thing will be finding a permanent location in my garden.

applestar
Mod

I'm following jal_ut's advice given in some of his earlier posts -- a clump of mother plants for harvesting the topsets for future plantings, and all others planted to be pulled and eaten as green onions.

The eating onions can be planted fairly close and thinned as your harvest.

As long as you clearly differentiate from the bulbing onions, they can be interplanted almost anywhere as needed -- for me this is also a way of finding optimum location in my garden with widely varied microclimates.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You should plant some in a spot for a permanent clump from which you can pick the little bulbils for planting for fresh eating green onions.

This is what you get shortly after planting the little bulbils.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:You should plant some in a spot for a permanent clump from which you can pick the little bulbils for planting for fresh eating green onions.

This is what you get shortly after planting the little bulbils.
Your onions look good and your soil looks good too. Do you have a lot of organic material and sand in your soil?

I use to work hard to keep my soil full of organic material now my soil is getting bad. I will buy 1 ton of garden soil at the Amish Garden Center to use in my garden this year. Growing up my family never grew a winter garden so I never learned that part of gardening.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Do you have a lot of organic material and sand in your soil? "

I garden in the soil that was left on this lot by the creator. It is dark and deep, but not sandy. Quite heavy in clay. I do add organic matter when I have it available. When the leaves get raked in fall they go on the garden. All garden plants and residue that are not taken off as harvest gets tilled in too. When I used to keep chickens and animals the manure would be stockpiled to be added in the fall before tilling. No animals at this point. Due to the clay content, I have to be careful to never work the soil when it is too damp or it just goes to hard clods.

Winter garden? Wonder what that is? Here we garden from about mid March to Sept 6. Today, 25 degrees and a foot of snow on the garden plot. My gardening at this point is looking at seed catalogs and planning........

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:"Do you have a lot of organic material and sand in your soil? "

I garden in the soil that was left on this lot by the creator. It is dark and deep, but not sandy. Quite heavy in clay. I do add organic matter when I have it available. When the leaves get raked in fall they go on the garden. All garden plants and residue that are not taken off as harvest gets tilled in too. When I used to keep chickens and animals the manure would be stockpiled to be added in the fall before tilling. No animals at this point. Due to the clay content, I have to be careful to never work the soil when it is too damp or it just goes to hard clods.

Winter garden? Wonder what that is? Here we garden from about mid March to Sept 6. Today, 25 degrees and a foot of snow on the garden plot. My gardening at this point is looking at seed catalogs and planning........

I grew up in Illinois it was too cold for a winter garden I guess that's why I never learned anything about growing a cold weather crop. TN winter is not a lot different than AZ temperature is about 8 degrees cooler on average in TN but TN feels much hotter than AZ because of the extremely high humidity near 100% humidity year round. TN can be suffocating hot in 90 degree weather. Now the snow is gone temperature is in the 60s again during the day and sunny. TN is clay the soil in the yard get as hard as the cement driveway in July and August. If I don't put organic material in my garden I can not even till it. If I till it too wet I get mud balls that dry hard as stones. When the time is right it will till fairly easy. I usually cover the soil with 6" of organic material then till it in. The city has big vacuum trucks that suck up tree leaves along the streets I use to get 5 or 6 trucks of leaves dumped on the garden every year. I hope the weather here is not too hot for Egyptian Walking onions. I will try to grow broccoli if it gets to warm bugs will eat it. I will try some Chinese Napa cabbage too. Garlic has been planted for several months. I think onions should have been planted already.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The Egyptians are planted. I bought compost cow manure planted them in it. I realized today my garlic and onion bed is planed the wrong direction North/South sun is very low in the sky 34 degrees and they shade each other. I bought 25 Egyptian onion bulbs seller did not count them he sent several harvested tops I probably have 60 bulbs. Some are small so I have several groups of 3 and groups of 2 and several singles. These should do good. Snow is gone, getting warmer, it will be 64 Saturday.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”