erb99
Newly Registered

Harworthia Trouble?

My little plant was so beautiful when I bought it about 6 months ago. It has grown taller but it has lost its spread leaves and has become shriveled. The pictures show the plant as of this morning. Can anyone see anything wrong? If so, can you give me any advice, I would appreciate any and all bits of info. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1283.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I think you don't have enough light. Make sure you don't overwater. I think the pot is on the large side for the plant. I keep Hawarthias in 2 inch pots for years.

erb99
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for your advice. I was thinking on down sizing the pot and so I definitely will now. I have another question, though. How much and how often should I water?

imafan26
Mod

Water as needed.

Smaller pots need more frequent watering but indoor plants don't dry out as fast as outdoor plants and it also depends on your media.

Most cacti want to be nearly dry before you water.

I plant my succulents in rocks with no soil and clay or cement pots when they are bigger. The hawarthia I plant in 2 inch orchid pots (plastic) and cinder or 2 inch clay pots which are harder to find. Mine are always outside and in small pots and cinder, they can get watered often without any issues or I can not water them for up to 4 days and they look the same.

Indoors, I would use the smallest pot you can fit the roots in. It does not matter if the leaves hang over the sides as long as the pot can stand up. I would use a well drained mix, cinder or cactus mix. Water sparingly and make sure there is no saucer under the plant or the plant is raised on pebbles or pot feet so air can get under th pot. Put it in as much light as you can but do it slowly to acclimate it. It is usually less of a problem in winter with a weaker sun.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”