theleifmeister
Newly Registered

Broadleaf Weed killer around trees?

Hello all,

I am new to lawn care and usually tend to lean organic, but I reseeded a practically dead lawn this year an with the grass came Creeping Charlie, Chickweed, and a LOT of dandelions. I used a specific Charlie and Chickweed spray but it had no affect on the mature dandelions. I was going to spray again with the Bayer Advanced product but I have a semi-mature Maple in my front lawn that I do not want to damage. Will spraying a broadleaf weed killer all around the dripline of my tree endanger it?

thanks so much!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'm willing to use herbicides around the ornaments but don't know about maple trees or your herbicide. It would be best to check with the manufacturer.

I tried something that didn't work with Round-up this fall. Their advice is to use while plants are "actively growing," I believe was how it was worded. The area between the carport and the neighbor's shed had begun to grow bindweed. There were other things in there as well.

I had heard criticism that we should be told that temperatures should be above 50°f. There had been a couple of frosts already but this area is only a couple of feet wide and very protected. It was above 50° so I sprayed around mid day. It's been weeks and weeks! Even the chickweed is still alive. You may have missed a chance to use that herbicide because of the temperatures.

Dandelions aren't very difficult for me to kill with this tool - LINK. It's very useful.
Steve

theleifmeister
Newly Registered

Oh wow, the temps here are still quite warm as I'm in MD, but I will look into that tool and maybe save the herbicide for the spring.

thanks!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I used to use dandelion killer and what I recall is that it does not affect woody plants such as trees. I have not used that product for a long time and have gotten used to having dandelions in my grass. The bees love the dandelions and I like that. I am in the process of replacing the grassy areas with dutch white clover. I am a much happier person knowing that the weed killer priducts are no longer used on my yard. Better for the fish, better for the environment. At first, it was hard to not use the dandelion killer product, but I'm used to it now. A perfect looking lawn is not what I aim for. I prefer a more natural looking yard.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Do you have access to wood ashes, like the leftovers from someone heating with a wood burning stove? I used ashes in my yard (had to dump them somewhere) because they are supposed to be good lawn fertilizer in small doses and ended up killing off all my dandelions. It did take a couple years before all the dandelions were gone but now I have none and very little Creeping Charlie. My pet rabbits are not happy that I killed their favorite treat and I admit I miss the dandelions. Yeah, I'm strange. I like dandelions.

If you can't get ashes some lime may have the same effect. Dandelions don't do well in soils with a high lime content.

theleifmeister
Newly Registered

I might have some ash once this winter gets started!! I have heard it is great fertilizer. I too enjoy a natural lawn, my father who used to live in the house REALLY enjoyed a natural lawn, that is actually what I am dealing with. The back yard was 90% creeping charlie at one point last year so I doing a lot of rehab just to get the yard in a manageable state :D

thanks again for all your advice!

Return to “Lawn Care”