element2012
Newly Registered

My poor braided money tree... :-(

I have (had) a beautiful, bountiful, 4 foot+ braided money tree. I apperently overwatered it for a long time. I stopped watering it and it kept getting worse, the leaves were all wilting and the stems were breaking from the weight of the wilting, and the newer growths just stopped growing and drooped. About a week and half after I stopped watering it, I decided to repot it. The soil around the roots was still wet and the roots were also soggy. I did not add any water to the new soil, and did not trim any leaves where the stem hadn't snapped, hoping they would perk back up. Well, another week or so has passed, and it has not gotten better. Now the leaves are drying around the edges but still very droopy and oversaturated looking. Even the newer growths don't look improved. I watered it just a little today, who knows if it can be saved (and it's sure nothing to look at now!). It was such a pretty plant, I want to make a cutting of it. So my question is two pronged: 1) Can this plant be saved? and 2) How can I make a cutting of it from the newer growths? Ideally I liked to braid it like the one I have now; how is this done?

Thank you so much!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Is this what you have, Araucaria araucana?
https://images.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hl=en&q=Araucaria+araucana&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
We call that the ouch tree.

1) Can this plant be saved?
Probably not because I suspect your root system has already failed but if it were me I'd give it my best shot. If it were my plant, I'd stop watering it now. Let it completely dry out. Please seriously consider holding off watering the plant for a bit even though I can tell you are itching to do so. Then when you do go to water the plant next... maybe water it really good and deep and when you are done let it soak for about an hour then come back and try adding a bottle (one pint) of hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water and pour that around the base of the tree. Heck, pour it straight on if you want and use a few bottles. A bottle of hydrogen peroxide is under a dollar at big box stores and it can oxygenate your soil which generally increases nutrient uptake. See, most people realize carbon dioxide is important to plants but most don't realize that oxygen availability to the roots is vital to nutrient uptake. It's those roots that need to be able to receive oxygen or a plant is going to go to plant heaven before its time. Waiting until a plant absolutely positively needs water before watering is always best as it allows water from the last watering to drain completely which then pulls oxygen down through the top of the soil. I realize this process sort of defies logic. Lastly, pruning would leave this tree vulnerable to insect and disease infestations and it is in no condition to withstand those.

I have lots of problems with flooding in my area. Through no fault of my own, plants drown when we get torrential rains that don't let up. Lots of new construction in the area and our hydrology has been irreversibly altered which isn't helping matters. The above is what I do to try to save plants of mine with failing root systems from too much water. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on how far gone my plants are by the time the waters recede and the soil dries out enough for me to try the H2O2.

2) How can I make a cutting of it from the newer growths?
If the species you call a Braided Monkey Tree is Araucaria araucana, I found sites that stated you should be able to propagate this species "By seeds or by tip cuttings from vertical shoots. Cuttings from lateral-growing shoots will develop into sprawling shrubs". If this is the route you'd like to try, I could try to give you some tips based on having propagated other species from tip cuttings but please know I've never propagated this plant before myself.

Editing to add-
a similar question came up in another thread. You might want to watch the thread to see what others do to save their plants-
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/posting.php

Bihai

I think she might have meant Braided Money Tree, not Monkey :) It's also called a Pachira.

If so, then some of them are pretty cool. Here are some images:

https://www.berlinkauf.com/large_picture.php?id=6875

https://www.berlinkauf.com/large_picture.php?id=7656

Also I found this link that talks about how to care for them:
Pachira does not have special requirements and it is a hardy plant that will adapt well to different conditions. Take care of your pachira like any other indoor houseplant.

Growing pachiras is very easy. Although its natural habitat is sunny wetlands, it will quickly adapt to less light and less water. You don't have to water very often, but don't let the soil go totally dry.

Pachira needs plenty of light, however avoid direct sunlight during the hot months of the year because its leaves may get sunburned. Increase humidity by spraying the plant with water once a week or place the pot on top of a wet pebble tray.

it's soil should be light and should contain some sand to ensure adequate drainage. Do not let the pot sit on water and always empty excess water from the pot tray.

You can trim its leaves if they get too big for your taste or even if you want to control or change the shape of the plant. New leaves will appear in only a few days time. Even leaves who turn yellow and fall off will be quickly replaced by new beautiful leaves.

You could propagate pachiras from cuttings/side shoots. Often you will notice new shoots coming out of the trunks. Carefully remove these shoots and transplant it. It will take some time but if you are lucky it will root and you will be blessed with another pachira plant.
https://www.valentine.gr/pachira_en.htm

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I think she might have meant Braided Money Tree, not Monkey
Close but no bananas, eh? Pun intended.

Yes, I see I added a k. Really good you caught that major mistake. I must admit I was wondering why the heck anyone would want to braid an "Ouch Tree". Personally, I'm not into pain and won't even grow any Opuntia humifusa here because I simply don't like having plants that are "armed" around.

I'm still thinking the root system failed on element2012's Money Tree though particularly after having read "Do not let the pot sit on water and always empty excess water from the pot tray".

Bihai

TheLorax wrote:
I think she might have meant Braided Money Tree, not Monkey
Close but no bananas, eh? Pun intended.

Yes, I see I added a k. Really good you caught that major mistake. I must admit I was wondering why the heck anyone would want to braid an "Ouch Tree". Personally, I'm not into pain and won't even grow any Opuntia humifusa here because I simply don't like having plants that are "armed" around.
Understandable mistake, but maybe you unintentionally created the next popular specimen plant, the Braided Ouch Tree. Braided by the most masochistic artisans. It'll look great with my plethora of barberry shrubs.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”