applestar
Mod

TOMATOES IN ALL COLORS OF THE RAINBOW

A group of tomato breeders came up with a tomato color chart to explain OTHER tomato colors besides RED. Here it is :D

https://michiganheirlooms.com/PDF%27s/Co ... Tomato.pdf

Post photos of your tomatoes AND IDENTIFY THE CORRECT COLOR to showcase them. :cool:

Are you growing / have you grown ALL the available colors of tomatoes? Image

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Nice. Thanks.

applestar
Mod

WHITE ...I should have lots more varieties but I'm having problems with one of the White Sauce Garden beds. For now, here are just a few: Cream Sausage, Yellow skinned but Ivory fleshed Butter Apple (a lot of the so called "white" varieties ripen to this combination), two of the nearly identical small cherries -- Petit Pomme Blanche, Coyote, and Champagne cherry, purple topped Amethyst Cream.
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Cant say I have anything that unique, but it is very colorful.

They are Jet Star, Sweet Tangerine (yellow to orange), Golden Rave (yellow roma), and Sungold.
Attachments
20150812_070614-1.jpg
20150810_201458-1.jpg

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

All those color are nice, and this year I had some purple as in Cherokee Purple and Gary O Sena. Some Lush Queen turned out yellow, and even regular LQ are yellow tinted when ripe. Still, I like eating a RED tomato, I am old fashion I guess

applestar
Mod

Keep them coming -- I love the colorful photo. I'd love to see your yellow Lush Queen @lakngulf -- maybe you've posted it elsewhere and I've forgotten already :P

Here is a BROWN (aka Black -- though I think BLACK varieties actually have green gel) variety called Japanese Black Trifele which is actually not Japanese but Russian in origin:
image.jpg

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

That tomato looks soooooo good!

applestar
Mod

image.jpg
image.jpg (38.5 KiB) Viewed 2924 times

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Quit teasing me. You know all of mine were drowned...lol. I still have way to many Cherokee Purples to eat. I have Limbaghs Legacy PL but don't care for them. I threw a sickly one of the deck and it survived and went nuts. After narrowing it down I'm pretty sure it's Indian Stripe PL. Very similar to Cherokee. It will be on my permanent list. I still got plenty of Martino Roma's.

I can't complain however because nothing beats an unlimited supply of Cherokees. I don't have any cherries or color this year....but I got seeds and will be back!

applestar
Mod

I believe this is an example of "Green Stripes"...

This one is called Girl Girl's Weird Thing -- found among Green Zebra and thought to be a sport. The name derives from the grower's dog named "Girl Girl" favoring this one and stealing the fruits off the vine. But it has been grown at least three generations since discovery if I remember correctly and has been coming back true:
image.jpg
Bottom-left photo shows GGWT next to an example of a bi-color called Beauty King.

applestar
Mod

Here are photos of fully ripe Beauty King. As you can see, even though these fruits are all from a same plant, they ripen to different degrees of pink and yellow exterior. Inside, the flesh is yellow with red bi-color, but, again, they show different degrees and patterns of bi-color expression.
image.jpg
ETA (Edited to Add) -- I have been told that these do not exhibit the NECESSARY striping on the skin that marks true Beauty King. So something happened to my stock and they lost the fruit stripe gene. I'm going to re-label them as Beauty King NOT, indicating the loss of stripes and not being true to type. I will probably still save seeds but not as Beauty King.

applestar
Mod

image.jpg
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Subject: Applestar's 2015 Tomato (and Pepper and Eggplant) Garden
applestar wrote:This one is called Lucky Cross. It is gorgeous with yellow and red bicolor interior flesh and clear epi. Look at how the bicolor striping is revealed after slipping off the ripe "pink" (clear epi with red underlying flesh) skin.

SWEET front end flavor with complex, full flavored middle and lingering tangy/acid finish. EXCELLENT.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

What a perfect examples of how wonderful and diverse nature is - beautiful fruits!

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

This is Cherokee Lime Stripes -- Striped Green When Ripe, with pink bi-color center in the green flesh. Look how pretty the clear epi is with the pink and green flesh mostly scraped off :-()
image.jpg
It has a mildly sweet front end, a little salty, then tangy burst and lingering tingling acid. Very thin tender edible skin. -- definitely a keeper! :()

applestar
Mod

Antho Fruits:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I think Vernissage Yellow is misnamed -- When ripe, it has yellow striped clear epi, and look at this one on the left with clear flesh :-() ...the one on the right had white flesh... 8)
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

...actually Vernissage Yellow looks VERY and truly yellow. But technically and by definition, the clear epi yellow fleshed tomatoes are the ones that are usually called "white".

Many tomatoes named "yellow" actually turn orange color (like color of an orange) when mature. Sometimes people try to call the color "gold" but they are yellow-orange at least.

...so confusing...

applestar
Mod

This one is called Ludmilla's Yellow Giant, but it ripens to ORANGE (not just yellow-orange but orange) and interior flesh could only be called orange (yellow orange) as well:
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
...full round shape, unfortunately late to start producing fruits/mature and was stingy (only got two fruits -- but it WAS IN MORNING SHADE) and thick skinned to boot. But very good sweet front end, intense middle and lingering acid flavor with thick walls that may be good for stuffing after scalding and skinning.

About 6-7 oz -- so billiard ball or small orange size? Maybe baseball size with good feeding.

I think I'll try growing this again next year and put it on the first string early seed stating list and plant in full sun. (I should do that with ALL late maturing varieties.)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”