qtband
Newly Registered

What is this?

What is it?
What is it?
This is a picture of what's on my shrubs. What is it and how do I treat it?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

That looks similar to what I found on my camelia shrub. What kind of shrub us it?
My camelia had an infestation of a type of fly. I washed the white things off the leaves and cut off the worse branches. It looks better now. I'm getting ready to apply an insecticidal soap that is environmentally friendly. You can accomplish alot with the hose and a wash cloth. It took me about a hour. I had to wash the leaves, top and bottom. And there were some on the branches too. I posted some pictures not too long ago. I will find that post and send it to you.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

image.jpg
Here's a picture of my infestation. ElizabethB suggested Neem Oil.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I think that my infestation was Cottony Camellia Scale. Not sure what yours is, but it looks similar.

catgrass
Green Thumb

White Flies

imafan26
Mod

I also think they are cottony camelia scales. They are too large for whiteflies and they are rod shaped vs the triangular shape of the whitle flies who should also be flitting around the plant when they are disturbed. I don't see the circular egg patterns and white flies should be less of a problem at this time of the year.
Scale can be hard to get rid of once they get past the crawler stage as their coating provides them with protection. Neem will work on the crawlers but I would use some physical scrubbing aswell. When scales die they remain on the plant so it is hard to tell if they are dead or not. It is possible to physically remove the scales if the plant is small and you want to be more organic. Otherwise, a systemic will work better at killing the scale. I would use systemic rose care because it lasts for about 6 weeks vs a year for Merit to limit the impact on beneficial insects. It will be better if the plant can be isolated.
https://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/co ... 0scale.htm

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”