cGautreaux1287
Newly Registered

Baby Prickly Pear Falling Over! HELP!! :(

Hi! I have a baby prickly pear (only three pads!) that is about 2' tall that keeps falling over from the base. :oops: It gets tons of sunlight and I water it about every two weeks (or when the soil dries out).

I don't have a green thumb and I'm new to the cactus game, but this seems odd.

I've read that they sometimes fall over to spread out and make room for other pads, but I feel like what mine is doing isn't healthy. All of the pads feel hearty and thick, none of them feel/ look wilted.

Can anyone give me some insight?? Also, I'm not familiar with cactus jargon yet, so if you could explain in the simplest of terms that would be most helpful :)!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Stake it. I think the root system isn't big enough to support that much top growth.

Sweyn

cGautreaux1287 wrote:Hi! I have a baby prickly pear (only three pads!) that is about 2' tall that keeps falling over from the base. :oops: It gets tons of sunlight and I water it about every two weeks (or when the soil dries out).
You're watering it too often. This kind are normally very easy to grow. They can do better with one watering a month, but, that depends on having a pot and soil that are suitable.
cGautreaux1287 wrote:I don't have a green thumb and I'm new to the cactus game, but this seems odd.

I've read that they sometimes fall over to spread out and make room for other pads, but I feel like what mine is doing isn't healthy. All of the pads feel hearty and thick, none of them feel/ look wilted.

Can anyone give me some insight?? Also, I'm not familiar with cactus jargon yet, so if you could explain in the simplest of terms that would be most helpful :)!
Your pot looks smooth which is not helpful. You should move your plant to a porous, clay pot. One that is not glazed or painted.

You should also replace the soil with a dry one. Either buy a prepared, cacti and succulent soil or, prepare your own. There are different ways of doing it, but, the simplest is to mix equal parts of peat with coarse, large grain sand. You could add other things to it, like gravel or perlite.

If the plant does not improve, you can cut off a healthy pad at its joint and grow it as a cutting, in a suitable pot and soil.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The reason the cactus is falling over is the pot is side ways. Lookout all the dirt will spill out. How do you water it like that? OH wait someone uploaded the picture sideways. :)

There is nothing wrong, put more sandy soil in that pot, all it needs is more soil to hold it up. Cactus have the ability to grow roots any place soils touches it. Cover the bottom pad about 1/2 way with soil it will grow more roots and be more stable.

The perfect soil for a cactus is, pour water in the pot if the water comes out the bottom soil is perfect. Some cactus like more water than others but Prickly Pear is one of those cactus that will grow in snow, ice, wet soil, dry soil, do good at 120 degrees and do good down to 25 degrees but soil can not stay swamp wet all the time.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”