gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Time to think about fall gardening

I got out in the garden yesterday and pulled half of my okra plants---little trees actually. Most of them were 8+ ft. tall and had stems as thick as my wrist. I have one more row to pull tomorrow and then till the soil to get ready to plant seeds and starter plants for the fall garden.

The wife and I hit the garden center yesterday in preparation and picked up the following:

6 Tomato plants
6 Brussels Sprouts
6 Collard Green plants
6 Broccoli Plants

And the following seeds:

Marketmore cucumbers
Yard Long Beans
Sugar Snap Peas
Bright Lights Swiss Chard
Fordhook Giant Chard
Kale
Beets
Several varieties of leaf lettuce
Kentucky wonder pole beans
Parsley

That is what's in store for now and will be amended or added to in the near future as space becomes available. Luckily, in my climate, I can garden year round. Already in the garden and going strong are Habanero, Bell, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T's, eggplants and pickling cucumbers. As it cools, some of this will likely not survive and be replaced with things that can handle cool/cold weather.

I love gardening into the fall as weeds, pests, fungal issues, etc. seem to decline a lot and more time is spent doing productive things instead of preventative measures.

imafan26
Mod

I keep having to restart my garden since the snails are eating the seedlings . I planted some mesclun and I just planted a basil today, but the cucumbers and beans I planted were eaten by snails. One cucumber that I planted form seed is all that is left now, and that cucumber was t the replacement for the ones the snails ate beforel. I started new beans and daikon in pots this time.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:I have my fall seed order in and it should arrive next week. We have cut back our Celebrity and Roma tomatoes to get a smaller but most welcome fall crop. We'll have spinach, leaf lettuces, green beans, broccoli, and Swiss Chard (weather permitting).
Fall gardening here in central Texas is a bit "iffy"--if we don't get an early frost, if the bugs don't hang around, and if we get the garden tilled, composted, and planted at the right time, we get a nice fall garden. If not, not.
I'm sure you have told us before, but may I ask what variety of yard long beans you plant? That sounds like something I'd like to try next spring.

I got the seeds from Johnny's Selected Seeds and they are called "Gita". They grow the green yard longs. There is also a purple variety that grows just as well for me, but unlike many purple hulled beans, these don't turn green when exposed to the heat of cooking and actually turn almost gray/black when cooked. My wife and I found them to look unappetizing even though they tasted as good as the green variety.

applestar
Mod

Ooh! That was something I've been wanting to find out since I was going to try the yard long/asparagus beans next year and was trying to decide between the green vs. purple/red varieties. Thanks! :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Ooh! That was something I've been wanting to find out since I was going to try the yard long/asparagus beans next year and was trying to decide between the green vs. purple/red varieties. Thanks! :D

You're welcome. I also found that the yard longs do not pickle well when compared to other varieties of pole beans. I'd much rather pickle the Kentucky Wonder or a bush type green bean. Besides having to be cut to fit in the jars since they grow so long, they tend to get tougher in texture and take on a bit of a woody feel to the bite.

On the plus side, they do grill well when cut in 6-8 inch lengths, drizzled with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder. We also love them smothered down with some onion, garlic, seasoning ham or smoke sausage as a nice side, or main dish. They also work well in stir frying and in soups.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Got my seedlings going already. 4 different types of tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cukes and zukes.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:Got my seedlings going already. 4 different types of tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cukes and zukes.

I got some of the seeds I bought in the ground today. I put in more yard longs, sugar snap peas, Kentucky Wonder pole beans, cukes and all the plants I bought already started in the 6 pack trays.

I'll wait a couple more weeks before putting in the lettuces, kale, Swiss Chard, beets and parsley. It's still getting in the low 90's around here and will do so for a few more weeks yet.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fall Garden? Around these parts that means dig the taters, till up the area and plant your garlic. Once past Sept 1 there will not be enough growing days to make much else.

applestar
Mod

LOL jal_ut, I think your fall gardening will be digging and storing your harvest in "The Pit" ...will you be doing that again this year?

You still get to (re)dig up and harvest. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

Yard long beans are an ethnic favorite. It is usually put in soup and stir fries. But I have not seen anyone try to pickle them.
This recipe calls for string beans, but here we would use long beans instead.
https://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/09/09/fi ... og-recipe/
https://whatscookingamerica.net/KarenCal ... gBeans.htm
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaro ... ecipe.html

I just cook them simply by sauteeing bacon ,adding minced garlic, yard long beans cut in bite sized pieces. For a little sweet and some heat, I add a bit of Thai sweet chili sauce. I find this has enough salt for me, but some people do add fish sauce or chicken broth to this. I find it too salty if I do that. Even soy sauce is too salty. Sometimes I will add onions and fresh tomatoes.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, pickled green beans are a treat! Guess I won't do any this year, my beans are all gone.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I love yard longs cooked on the grill, drizzle with a little garlic olive oil,wrap in bacon & grill until the bacon is done. OMG! I love it!

erins327

Yay Southerners!

Lets talk Fall gardens. I have all my seeds ordered and ready- broccoli, spinach, arugula, romaine, kale, carrots, beets, fennel, artichoke, still need to buy garlic later next month.
Unfortunately we will be out of town for a month later in September, so I will be getting a late start on starting indoors til after we get back. But thats ok, I always feel like I jump the gun anyways and start out too early when its still hot out.

I just planted 10 more tomatoes in an open bed, hoping for some Fall tomatoes. I started them in July, so by the time I planted them, they were already outgrowing big reused yogurt pots. This is my first attempt at Fall tomatoes so we will see!

imafan26
Mod

The two tomato starts I planted have their first tomatoes on them now. Livingston grape has two ripe ones and Juliet has green ones.
I am still battling snails. They got most of the Kale and broccoli seedlings so I am starting more. I do have daikon and bean seedlings that I am letting get bigger before I plant them out, hoping they will be less tasty to the snails.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well, the seeds I put in about 10 days ago are up and running and the started plants are settled in and growing just fine. I put in 2 rows of seeds this morning in the green leafy things the wife and I love in the winter. I put in Russian Kale, Beets, 2 varieties of Swiss Chard, 4 varieties of leaf lettuce and I decided to put in some more squash to see if they will do anything before the cold gets to them. I hope the SVB's are gone for the time being, or at least by the time the plants come up and start growing.

The cucumbers I put in several weeks ago are giving me tons of pickling size cucumbers and they are sweet as a melon right off the vine.

I got done just in time because it is now raining and watering the seeds in just nicely for a good start. Love this time of year----------well, in a couple more weeks or so when the weather starts to cool down a bit more.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The wife and I took a trip to Oregon. Gone for ten days. Just got home yesterday, and today I went out to look at the garden. No killing frost yet and the cucumbers, crookneck and zucchini still doing great. Filled 3 buckets with squash and cukes. Still need to dig potatoes and pull the garlic and onions that are left. Winter squash and pumpkins looking good. Got a few red tomatoes. We often get a killing frost the first few days of September. So this is a rather extended season for us. After the harvest, it will be till the plot and plant the garlic.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

crazy software....... gave me a dupe.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Here's what I'm planting now that it's fall:
1 California Lilac (new purchase)
2 Dark Purple Heirloom Lilacs (starts from my old Mama Lilac plant)
A whole bunch of daffodil and tulip bulbs
Trying to find some Mock Orange to plant but don't have any yet.
Anything else that looks good at the 70% off sale coming up in October.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”