T56Impala
Newly Registered

How Much Water do Roses Need (& other Questions)

Hello everyone. I'm new here and to the world of roses.

I recently built a 25'x4' raised bed and have planted 7 very nice, healthy plants. The bed was built with advice from someone who is VERY knowledgeable about roses. He was the president of a state rose Association. He also happens to be my father in law! It is built from 6x6 treated lumber and is 24" high. I get just over 6 hours of sunlight per day in the location, the soil was "made" specifically for this bed. The current line up is: April in Paris, Black Magic, Mister Lincoln, Tropicana, Double Delight, Solstice and Gentle Giant. I am watering via a drip system. Each plant has it's own 1gph dripper and I am currently watering 3 hours a day 3 days a week. It is hooked into my current in ground watering system on its own circuit. This leads me to my first question.

We are in a severe drought area. We currently have a ban on any outdoor water usage. I have applied for, and gotten a waiver from our state AG department that allows me to water this bed for 10 weeks. Just how much water do my plants need to survive once the waiver expires? I have a lot invested in this little bed including my little girls hopes.

Next question is about signage. I would like to label each plant with a sign. Where can I get custom engraved 4x2 plastic signs? Next question: Other than the rose's name, what should I include a text on each sign?

I look forward to learning about what you all have done. Maybe I can get some ideas for the future expansion of my garden.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Try this site for metal tag markers

[url]https://www.kidsgardeningstore.com/13-1038.html[/url]

As for watering your roses after 10 weeks, you might give some consideration to using grey water, that would be your bathwater, rinse water off your washer, and dishwasher. Also consider adding rain barrels to your downspouts to catch additional water when it does rain.

I would mulch the roses heavily to help conserve moisture, just keep away from the middle section of the plants.

T56Impala
Newly Registered

I have a rain barrel, but with no or very little rain, it doesn't do much good!! It rained for about 3 hours last night. Very lightly that is. I got about 2 inches of watter in the barrel. Its going to be a long summer of water worries for me.

I am using oak tree leaves for much. I have about 3 inches of horse stall muck (horse poop and hay) covered by about 2 inches of leaves. So far the plants are looking good. Mostly still look like sticks but I do have some new sprouts coming up on all but 1. I'm not sure just how healthy that bush is.

The Black Magic was a potted transplant and already has a few buds on it. The rest were bare root bushes from Whitherspoon. Any chance you might know where I could find a Vavoom? (I think thats the spelling) Its a bright orange Hybrid tea. I have a special spot just for it if I can fine one.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Found this is helpmefindroses.com site

Vavoom Weeks Wholesale Rose Grower, Inc..

imagardener2

doccat5 wrote:Found this is helpmefindroses.com site
That 'site' is nothing more than a paid 'search' page.

T56Impala, I found Vavoom at [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=vavoom+rose&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]multiple nurseries[/url] by doing a search on Google.

T56Impala
Newly Registered

Thanks for searching. I guess I could have done that, but I was really hoping to pick one up from a reputable (suggested) nursery. I'm new at this and my FIL Rosarian only deals with Witherspoon. They show it as in stock until you try to order it. Then they tell you its out of stock. :(

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Lots of information on Rose care by some of our rose experts from the site and some from a friend of mine that I posted:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I've used these signs: [url]https://www.ambergategardens.com/2_4_4lbs.html[/url]
Ambergate Gardens is entirely reputable and the quality of the signs is excellent BUT they don't update their website and you have to call or write to order. I believe the current price of the signs is $4.50 (with stake) each plus shipping. Personally I would probably pick either the "coffee bean with white core" or "tan with dark brown core" as these are least obtrusive while still being easily legible. The former is the more legible of these two.

Return to “Rose Forum”