Jdftwrth
Newly Registered

Indoor veggie garden has small flying insects.

Hi,

I have been trying to get a small vegetable garden and have had success with Tomatoes, Peppers, Lettuce and herbs.

I have also had great success in raising a lot of nasty little black flying insects that I can't seem to get rid of.

I know most sane people raise veggie in outdoor gardens, but where I live that does not seem to work well, we have a 3 week period in mid january where it gets cool but by March is in the upper 80s and then the temp keeps going up till its 100 to 110 by July and stays that way until late october.

I have yet to find any vegetable plants capable of dealing those temps, then of course the wildlife tend to like the outdoor buffet that my vegetable garden becomes.

So I move it indoors I was originally go to go hydroponic but that was more than I wanted to take on so I opted to use containers filled with a peat based mix and I add fertilizer as required. I made the mistake of leaving my planting media uncovered outdoors for a week and these pesky flys moved right in.

How/what can I use to get rid of them?

I included a picture of one of the traps that I use to contain them but they grow faster than I can catch them. I normally have 3 or 4 of the traps hanging around the garden and they all look pretty much the same (those traps are double sided and the squares are 1 inch by 1 inch)..

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JD
Attachments
Flying bugs.jpeg

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

From the small size of them and not clearly pictured, I'm thinking fruit flies could be the problem. I can have fresh fruit on my countertop this time of year and out of nowhere they will show up. I can't keep an open container of vegetable scraps in my kitchen either because they will swarm in it and they will explode in population almost overnight.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

They're probably fungus gnats.

imafan26
Mod

they look more like fungus gnats to me too. Your area must stay damp, either from wet media or saucers full of water.

Jdftwrth
Newly Registered

thanks all for the replies!

anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of them?

JD

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Continue scrolling down this page to the last post by "themahoneys" in the "Similar Topics" section and read some of the replies to that post. Some interesting ideas are offered.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”