HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

5 situations that make plants underperform

I'm borrowing this from Fine Gardening Magazine Aug 2014 issue:
5 situations that make plants underperform
1. Low Light (light that is less than optimal for the plant)
2. Hot Temperatures (I.e. temps above 90 degrees for weeks)
3. Inadequate Moisture (even drought tolerant plants need water)
4. Lack of Mulch
5. Soil Abnormalities (soil testing important)

imafan26
Mod

Right plant in the wrong place.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

There are probably way more than 5. But assuming that everything else is right, then the 5 things listed are of utmost importance. I have a rhody in the wrong place,. It doesn't seem happy. I recently read that rhodies don't morning sun. Well, this particular rhody has east exposure so it gets full sun including morning sun. I'm going to move it in the fall to the north side. It should do better there.
I visited Hawaii once. Kauai & Maui. Nice place. I didn't want to come home.

StevePots

In my case I'm finding that mulch is not always a good thing. We have rain and high humidity almost every day and so my container garden is constantly wet. I have been having problems with my seedlings not growing. Damp out is one possibility too but I was looking at the garden when I noticed a lot of activity under the mulch. Picked up the piece of pine bark mulch and the soil was swarming with fungus gnats. I had seen them around too. There was also clear signs of fungus spores. (looked like cotton)

Anywho the mulch kept my soil from drying out after the rain. The pots drain out okay but the heat on the post causes the moisture to rise to the surface where it use to condensate under the mulch and keep larvae and pupae comfy.

I removed the mulch and the soil looks healthier for it. I also managed to attract fungus gnat predator mites and they go after thrips too so all in all a good change.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes, part of the point of mulch is to keep moisture in the soil. For many people that is a good thing, but in a really rainy humid climate, maybe not so much.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”