saramoore78
Newly Registered

What's wrong with my lithops?

Hello! I am new to growing lithops and if someone could give me some insight I would appreciate it. I got some lithops about a month ago. I got them from a local nursery. They were kept in a greenhouse. They're still in the little plastic containers they came in. I haven't watered them at all since I brought them home.

Slowly over the past couple days they've been looking more and more wrinkled. It's starting at the base and moving up. A few of them are only wrinkled at the base and some are wrinkled on the top now too. When I checked on them today one was even slightly soft to the touch. Softer than it had been before.

I've been keeping them outside in the morning sun. By the time I'm home from work at 3 they're shaded.

I'm wondering if they need water since I haven't watered them at all yet. They were also really dry when I purchased them. Any insight I would really appreciate! I've been trying to get my hands on these little guys for so long.

Edit: now two of them are loosing color and turning yellow. They are also on a northwest facing balcony.
Attachments
image.jpg

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Yes, during warm weather, water when dry.

saramoore78
Newly Registered

I've watered twice now, I'm doing it every two weeks. They're still wrinkling more and more. Since I posted this I've lost two. Any ideas?

saramoore78
Newly Registered

Now one has a hole in it. It's wrinkling more and more. It seems to just be deteriorating.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Sounds like it's just splitting (multiplying.) Or it could be preparing to bloom. Are you able to add a new pic?

melop

You may be overwatering them. Lithops come from places that don't really see much (if any) rainfall. They survive mostly with the little moisture that occurs during the morning condensation. Yes you will need to water more frequently during the summer months, but what seems to be working for me is to take a spray bottle and a few sprits per plant every 1- 2 weeks. It seems to do the trick. It's amazing how little water they need. I've had mine for a few months now, and they look pretty healthy.

Lithops also have an annual cycle. They do alot of growing during the summer, in fall they flower, in winter they need very very little water and change color while there inactive, then in spring they shed their old leaves and a new set will appear (sometimes 2 sets if it multiples to 2 plants), and then again in summer they go back to normal color and growing.

I'm still fairly new to lithops as well, I've had them before with no luck and this time around I really wanted to make sure they didn't die so I tried to 'figure' them out.lol.

Hope that helps!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”