applestar
Mod

Re: Applestar's 2015 Garden

Guatemalan Blue C.maxima squash -- one striped, one not. If they have equivalent flavor, I'm saving seeds from the striped one. 8)

Big and little tomatoes, and lemon Dani basil, A couple of test edamame and yellow raspberries that keep coming in ones and twos (I guess I would get more once this new patch matures more)
image.jpg
...last dozen or so of the last to silk corn had trouble because all the tassles were done making pollen.
... First peaches -- when I went to check on them there was this most awful cluster of dozen or so Japanese beetles on one fruit. Look what they did! :evil: ...but once the damaged part was trimmed away, the peach tasted delicious! :()

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

What do those ginormous squash taste like? You're supposed to let them get that big? How do you prepare them? The SVB leave them alone?

Sorry for the barrage of questions....they just look nifty and have me intrigued....

applestar
Mod

Haven't tasted them yet -- they are actually winter squash and supposed to get to be 4-5 Lbs, but my bigger striped one was only 2 Lbs:
image.jpg
Guatemalan Blue (C.maxima)
The vines did go down to SVB so that may have affected their development. But I think/hope they had the chance to mature. I'll give them a little time to "cure" before cutting them open.

But I do have to keep a close eye on these early harvested C.pepo and C.maxima squash. SVBs gets into the fruit sometimes. Yesterday, I was rearranging and turning the harvested fruits in their web tray so they have good air circulation all over, and found one that -- originally seemed solid -- had a wet mushy spot on the bottom. When I took it to the sink to wash and examine, there was a pocket/airspace under the already hardened skin and there were channels in the flesh just below the skin ...and a 1" SVB fell out :shock: :x

This one apparently got in from the softer bottom of the fruit where it was on the ground. I sliced open the damaged part and kept cutting bits off until all signs of burrowing were removed -- only a section about 2" in diameter and 1" deep and not penetrated into the seed cavity, thank goodness. Wrapped the remaining fruit and put it in the fridge. I'll process it today and make sure there are no others (but I don't think so).

I did harvest the last Kakai yesterday, along with a couple of cucumbers that were hiding -- one of them had wedged itself in the wire fence and had to be extricated :roll:
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 3944 times

BU54
Cool Member

Applestar you are a true expert!!!

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Sweet looking brassicas. Do you cover yours early in the growing season or use some type of insecticide?

applestar
Mod

Oops sorry for not realizing you had posted a question @lexusnexus.

I've tried covering with netting in the past with great success. This year, I'm trying NOT covering and see how far I get with just hand picking and protection by the Garden Patrol. The cold spring slowed down the cabbage white invasion which helped.

I haven't used ANY insecticide.

applestar
Mod

First group of GLASS GEM CORN
image.jpg
Still waiting for the MELONS
image.jpg
Last edited by applestar on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected the name of corn from "Gem" to "Glass Gem".

Farseeker

Gosh that gem corn looks fantastic. I think I'm going to have to try to source some seed in Australia and give it a go, if only to see the pretty!

applestar
Mod

Sorry it's GLASS Gem corn. I fixed the name in the previous post.

Here is a second Kikuza squash I harvested today. I've been letting it mature on the vine, and it's still a bit green, but I noticed it's starting to soak up moisture on the skin instead of repelling it, and was afraid of it going moldy.
image.jpg
As it turned out ...I realized there was this SVB trying to burrow into the stem even after I rinsed the squash. :x

Plucked it off and dropped into a bucket I keep near the patio faucet to pour used rinse water in, and the resident goldfish swam up from the bottom and promptly swallowed it :twisted:

applestar
Mod

After trying several times, I finally have Armenian Cucumbers producing fruits. Image

I do believe the key was to remember that this is actually A MELON SPECIES and treat it as such. These are growing in this year's melon patch.
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

MELONS!!! :-()
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful ! ! :D :D

BU54
Cool Member

applestar wrote:MELONS!!! :-()
image.jpg
Cantaloupe? They look delicious!!! :shock: :eek:

applestar
Mod

...aaaand here is a winter squash that climbed up a trellis and set fruit about 4ft above the ground.... :roll:
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I don't know what variety these winter squash are. :roll:

They are C.moschata variety that started to take over after Kakai (C.pepo) finished maturing fruits and/or went down from SVB. Maybe Black Futsu? But they originated among the Kakai so either stray seed that sort of looked like a Kakai or one or more volunteer(s). The plant I *thought* was Black Futsu turned out to be Kikuza, so I did intend to grow them this year.
image.jpg
There's one more that hopefully set fruit.
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I was referencing this:
Subject: 2014 Spiral Garden Garlic Onion Pea Corn Squash Cuke Beet
applestar wrote:[...]

In the Spiral Garden, there are two Thai Kang Kob (maybe Seminole) and one volunteered in the compost pile Tromboncino fruits growing at the moment.

[....]
...later, it turned out that the top left is a seminole and bottom left is a Thai Kang Kob (you can see how much TKK changed as it developed later in that thread)

I'm thinking the mottled color Of my mystery squash looks like Seminole and the initial shapes as seen in the one on the bucket look more like the Seminole, but the developing size, flattening shape, and the ribbing on the bagged one looks more like Thai Kang Kob. I wonder if I'm growing a bee cross of the two this year....?
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Oh! I forgot to mention! I might have another cross in the making.

The center bottom photo above is a Kikuza female -- she was blooming all by her lonesome on the struggling vine with no males to be her mate. So I gave her one of the mystery squash male to play with.

Not too hopeful though, since I really thought the Kikuza vine kicked the bucket long time ago....

applestar
Mod

9/10 Harvest

- More figs, apples and 1st Prok persimmon!
- Basil (VGDPSRB). Decided to harvest pretty severely since the Patio container basils are starting to suffer Basil Downy Mildew.
- Also first MR x ZCMWF, F1 #1F ...it is small grape shape and appears to be pink or purple. #1F plant is tall and rambling -- really hoping this is a Maglia Rosa x Coyote cross with flavor to match!
- CHERRY TOMATOES:
- - A double cluster Champagne and small cluster of SIP Petite Pomme Blanche is again looking paler ivory color.
- - Single yellow cherry is from Iva's Sweet White.
- - Large yellow grape cherry is Sweetie. (I thought that was going to be red, so will need to look it up.) Sun Bell
- - Gotta love the cute antho-calyx sun print on the Amethyst Cream (It would be worth planting in much sunnier spot just for that but the flavor might suffer from overwhelming antho overtones....)
- - Large red cherry is Sun Gold not.
- Dwarf Red okra from Blane and Burgundy okra from Burpee
- Armenian cucumber (VGB)
- 2nd Captain Lucky White had multiple skin splits due to all the rain we had.

applestar
Mod

These okra were a bit oppressed while Trucker's Favorite White corn were looming over them, but now that the corn stalks have been removed, they seem to be visibly trying to make up for lost time. I'm loving the color combination with the Sedum 'Autumn Joy' starting to bloom behind them.
image.jpg
Burpee Burgundy in the foreground, (harvested the pods today after taking the picture). Dwarf Red in the back – that big pod was the very first of all of these to set. I'm leaving it to mature for the seeds to see if it's possible. I did the same thing with Louisiana Green Velvet.

If leaving the very first pod to mature, sacrificing production on that plant, still isn't enough to save mature seeds, I'll just give up and stop trying. :|

applestar
Mod

Harvest photos from last few days. Not as much volume per day, but interesting assortment that adds to our table. Kids are eating raspberries, figs and persimmons for special treats as well as filling up on apples for their snacks every day now :()
image.jpg
...forgot to include today's apples :>
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

With heavy rains in the forecast, I took these photos of the side yard garden before harvesting all of the blushed to fully colored tomatoes and the red ripe apples.

{Espalier Fence Row, "Haybale" Row, "Sunflower House" and SFHX (Sunflower House Extension), Spiral Garden and SGAX (Spiral Garden Annex)}
image.jpg
Today's Harvest
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Wow, haven't updated this in over a month! :shock:
I've been wanting to post a group photo of the winter squash harvest, and haven't had the chance. :( ...not much to tell especially since I've been dealing with health issues for the past couple of weeks.

Finally started feeling better and got my garlic planted. Half of them earlier in the week, and the last of them today. I picked two beds where I haven't tried growing garlic before. I hope they work out. It's so late -- I should have planted them two weeks ago. -- but the 10 day forecast shows we're going to stay above freezing, so hopefully they will get a chance to settle in.

With such a long lapse, there were (ARE! :eek: ) tons to be done out in the garden, too. :roll:

applestar
Mod

Thanks to the extended frost-free temperatures we have been having after that hard-freeze weekend in October, I found all these lovely greens that were begging to be harvested today :D
image.jpg
Two kinds of lettuce, a bit of snow and shelling peas, pea shoots and blossoms, cilantro, and baby Tatsoi (?), plus some baby carrots in the salad spinner basket... Red Russian Kale, Green Tatsoi (?), Red Choi, Red Mustard greens.

Initially, they filled the 2 gallon bucket. I sorted them into salad greens and cooking greens. :wink:

applestar
Mod

So of course it went down to 29°F with heavy frost this morning. :shock:

Went out and built a low poly tunnel for yesterday's garlic bed since that one is at the Northeast corner and bottom of the slope of the backyard. The picket fence to the front yard acts as a windbreak, but winter north and northeast winds sweep across the open front lawn, and it's one of the first areas along there to get frosted.

I picked this bed because it's also one of the few areas that the house shadow doesn't quite reach and cast a shadow until later on (when the sun is at its lowest, even that area gets caught by the roof peak shadow). :?
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I'll post this here since it's *still* 2015 and my garden has managed to produce another harvest :-()

I went outside in a long sleeve T-shirt over a short sleeve shirt in the 54°F misty rain and harvested these:
image.jpg
...initially I went out to get some kale because that's one veg that most often overwinters in my garden and even manage to offer some good leaves to harvest even when temperatures fall down to down to the teens, but it's been so warm that they are growing very well. Since I'm planning to make some lamb meatball soup, I thought kale would go nicely.

But in addition to kale, I found celery and cardinal chard, blood-veined sorrel, parsley, and even some broccoli side shoots and teeny little runt of a cauliflower. :()

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

That's quite a good late season find. Good job

imafan26
Mod

Wow. Great!

applestar
Mod

Subject: Applestar's 2015 Garden
applestar wrote: I'm thinking the mottled color Of my mystery squash looks like Seminole and the initial shapes as seen in the one on the bucket look more like the Seminole, but the developing size, flattening shape, and the ribbing on the bagged one looks more like Thai Kang Kob. I wonder if I'm growing a bee cross of the two this year....?

I cut open the #2 Thai Kang Kob (bucket one) today

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”