benb
Newly Registered

Little 5 leafed forest plant

Hi!

I found this little plant deep in a forest on my property in Minnesota zone 4. What type of plant do you think this is?

Thanks!
Attachments
10382447_10204174703101342_3404011426369325466_n.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think it is Virginia creeper, a nice native vine. The vine stem is probably buried under the leaves.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

This thing screams out "Virginia Creeper". Some people are allergic to it, but most aren't. If you find you're not allergic, get some chicken wire, stand it against a tree in the back of your yard, where you don't garden, and dig the creeper up. Replant at the base of the chicken wire arrangement and watch the creeper eat the wire and the tree (given enough water). It makes nice flowers, but the berries are poisonous--do not eat.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I had to laugh at "nice native vine". Where I live-NOT! It takes over everything. I guess northern winters keep it in check! Interesting how some things are wanted in different areas, and then again, a bad weed somewhere else! I had a friend moved here from St. Louis (I am in South Louisiana). This came up around her pool area, and we told her to get rid of it. No, she said she liked it. Within a year she was yanking the stuff out daily!

Mr_bobo_

In garden where I work (side job) I was away one season and till that time Partenocisus quinquifolia grow all around like crazy. I will need spend lot hours to clean that.

Mr_bobo_

In garden where I work (side job) I was away one season and till that time Partenocisus quinquifolia grow all around like crazy. I will need spend lot hours to clean that.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Give Virginia Creeper an inch and it will take a mile. It will overrun your landscape if given a chance. Some will grow up to ten feet a day. You can almost see it growing.

Mr_bobo_

I lead it on the top fof my fence, only two branches.
I need to cut it alike 3-4x in year. When he is under control it is nice plant.
I love red leaves in fall and blue berries. That's the reason why she is in garden.
Well, she want do it more, but I have scissors. :)

Return to “Plant Identification”