Tokyo27
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai Help

I own a 6 year old Juniper bonsai. It has been in my care since the end of March 2005. In this time it has done very strange things. I beleive it is mainly due to my experimenting and getting used to watering.Its color has varied from light green to dark lush green to almost sickly brown. I beleive it is healthy because I have definitely noticed growth.

Just recently I left on a family vacation and left my bonsai in the care of my girlfriend for two weeks. When I returned it looked in better condition than when I left. I only stayed a a few days until we left again on a mission trip with my youth group. Now, one sub-branch(?) has turned an ugly dried-sage-green and my parents informed me that it had tiny webs on it.

I read some of the posts and was worried that I might have had a phomopsis or twig blight and proceeded to cut to see if the heart wood was black or even discolored; with no avail, the inside looked healthy? Any insight? I will try to post a picture.

Thank you.[/img]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's mites for sure; Neem oil will take care of it (but hurry) and regular misting will create a habitat they don't like...

Tokyo27
Newly Registered

Thank you for the diagnosis Scott. And so my search begins...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Neem oil should be available at any good garden center...

Tokyo27
Newly Registered

How soon should I be able to see reaction to the neem oil. I bought the oil the day it was suggested and applied that day as well. The instructions say to keep the plant on a seven or fourteen day schedule. I have applied the oil everyday and have yet to see any real improvment on the damaged branch; it is still the same dried-sage-green color, only the foliage is crunchy and brittle. Is this branch already dead?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Should have been clearer here. The branch is likely a goner, and the treatment was really to prevent further damage (when you see that color the branch is likely already gone; the trick is to catch it before that stage).

A seven to fourteen day regimen usually means treating every 7 to 14 days; are you sure you read the directions correctly? I'd check...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”