rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

another when to harvest question

OK, so I have these cabbages that keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger....

How do I know when to harvest them?

2015-07-12 16.05.41.jpg
2015-07-12 16.05.41.jpg (46.65 KiB) Viewed 750 times
2015-07-12 16.06.04.jpg
2015-07-12 16.06.04.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 750 times
The heads, not counting the outer leaves, are about 8" in diameter.

applestar
Mod

The way I heard it, you can harvest any time after they start forming heads. But once they feel solid, you want to harvest before heavy rain or irrigation can cause them to split.

The little one I harvested yesterday felt solid. Another one I was thinking of harvesting because it was bigger was less solid with air pockets inside. The little one was perfect inside when cut open and was enough to make a nice cole slaw for two today. I used red chard stems and leaves in place of carrots, and the dressing turned pink. 8) Added a smallish sweet onion that had prematurely collapsed neck and some raisins and craisins for extra burst of sweetness and chewey texture contrast to the crunchy cabbage. Very yummy. :D

Looking at your photos, I would think the 2nd one would be more ready, though first one probably is too.

If you want to try for 2ndary side heads, cut above the outer leaves.

imafan26
Mod

Looks nice. I can't help you with that one. I tried to grow cabbage a couple of times. Once something ate the center of the cabbage and the other one had black rot. Your's looks nice.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Both of your cabbages can be harvested now - the second one sooner rather than later. It looks ready to start having problems if left much longer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks everyone! The second one was harvested and is now simmering in an ethopian inspired veggie stew. Other garden ingredients in it: carrots, onions, garlic, basil

So I am about to have cabbage coming out of my ears (the above recipe for six, used 1/4 of the head). The two pictured were the front yard ones, but I've got more in back and more at the community garden.

What do people do with excess cabbage? Does it freeze well?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I've only frozen it as part of cooked dishes, like vegetable soups, & never noticed any difference in quality. Don't know about freezing it on its own.

applestar
Mod

I was going to try this:
Subject: Before and after Pics
bcallaha wrote:Freezer slaw is a sweet & sour slaw that you make, and then you can freeze for later use. It's easy to make. I use a recipe in the Ball Blue book. I've tried other recipes, but I like that one best. Seven pints will probably last us the whole year. We eat it with fried chicken and fish mainly.

Brad

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Though I've never made it myself (hubby isn't a cabbage fan), I have heard of "freezer slaw", & that cabbage/slaw lovers are very fond of it. Supposedly the texture doesn't suffer from the freezing. Definitely might be worthwhile to try a small batch (or a couple using different recipes) & see how you like it before dedicating all your cabbage to it.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I've always wondered that too. All I can say if they split you waited one day too long! I've done that many times! :)
This year though, got it right, harvested a stonehead and had 2 nights of slaw! Have a Copenhagen coming on now. It's a softer head so don't think it'll be as prone to split.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The one I harvested was perfect and weighed about 3 pounds. Haven't harvested any of the rest.

Incidentally I forgot when I listed the Ethiopian stew - it wasn't in the recipe, but I also threw in some garden broccoli, just because I had it. Came out good and plenty of leftovers, which will be even better, since the flavors have had time to "marry" better.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”