DonV
Cool Member

blossom end rot, trim leaves?

I have been having issues with winter squash, and zuccini (not summer squash, not 8 ball zuc, not tomato's - well a little very little issues in tomato's, not on cucs - not for a week or two I got no cucs tiny ones disappeared so maybe?).

Everyone theorized calcium issues but tomato's being ok is making me question this. Also it seems to be happening in fruits that are not young - not mature but flower fell off dried and a day or two later BUT it could just be obvious then and there all along.

On 1 zuc plant in particular there are a TON of leaves, and a TON of new leaves, plant looks like a solid ball!

If it is BER it would seem trimming some leaves would help (and also help spotty mildew which always shows up)?

I put down some lime already, hard to tell but it seems to have helped a little, I did not put down a lot.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

It's not uncommon to lose your first few squash to blossom end rot (and your bottom sets of leaves will begin to yellow). As long as the plants show vigorous, healthy growth everything is probably fine. I had to cut off a half dozen of my first zucchinis because of rot and everything is now fine. From 2 mounds I harvested a dozen in a 3 day period and they are going strong.

kayjay
Green Thumb

DonV wrote:Everyone theorized calcium issues but tomato's being ok is making me question this. (...) On 1 zuc plant in particular there are a TON of leaves, and a TON of new leaves, plant looks like a solid ball!
This would make me think too much nitrogen, which can interfere with calcium absorption, from what I've read. But I don't know what to do about it except fertilize with low-N fertilizer next time it's due, and I don't know if it's healthy to cut leaves. Could expose them to disease. I'll be anxious to hear a more experienced person on cutting squash leaves, as I've wondered about that myself.

DonV
Cool Member

Thanks, note I lost my fist dew to BER (or something - nothing at first but that seems to always happen) but next round was good, no issues, then BER again - right now it seems to have passed.

I put down some fast acting lime, epson salt too.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”