Igotworms
Cool Member

my organic garden

I just wanted to share some pics of my garden. here is a pic of it when it was first planted and a pic from yesterday. I'm in central PA and this is the first year I have had a garden at this location. I had a garden last year but it was just topsoil and did not turn out well.
This year I built my own soil from compost (4 sources), peat moss, and vermiculite. I also used my own home made worm castings and other ingredients such as kelp, greensand, azomite, and different kinds of meals. I feed once per week with compost tea and use other organic nutrients I have made myself. Calcium is my key to success along with the high chiten worm castings my red wigglers produce.

I am growing 5 types of heirloom tomatoes, 3 types of peppers, and heirloom sweet corn in the large box.
in the small box is a "giant" pumpkin, pickeling cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, and white pine strawberries.

you can also see my potato box in the pics.

thanks for stopping by! if you have any questions about how I grow feel free to ask.

Igotworms
Cool Member

here are some better pics I just took 5 mins ago.

full garden

Pumpkin leaf

Hungarian wax peppers

Howard German tomatoes

Opalka tomatoes

Large red tomatoes

Red bell peppers

Boxcar Willie tomatoes

Costoluto tomatoes

Boston pickling cucumbers

MichaelC

Looking great there, igotworms!

Igotworms
Cool Member

Thanks! I put a lot of time into my garden this year. I think the cal-phos I make is a big part of it looking so good. Calcium seems to be the key to a successful garden. A good soil helps to :wink:

preciselysimple
Newly Registered

Can't wait to see how big of a pumpkin you can grow!!!
I was growing giant pumpkins as well but trugreen killed them. Thats how big my leaves where, I wasn't expecting them to get that large but they were so pretty. Since I don't have mine anymore I will have to enjoy yours.

Have you got any pumpkins growing right now?

Igotworms
Cool Member

no pumpkins growing yet. I have have been picking off the flowers but am now letting them grow. I'm only letting two pumpkins grow and will keep the roundest one out of those two. I'm going for a 1,000 lb pumpkin but will be happy with 100 lbs. The seed is a "dill's Atlantic giant pumpkin" if I remember correctly.
I am constantly picking off stinkbug eggs from the bottoms of the leaves. I don't think it will be a problem if I keep on it though. I'm not famillar with trugreen, is that a nutrient?

imafan26
Mod

That's great. I cannot grow big pumpkins even if I had the space or the seed. I just don't have the long days it takes to grow giant anything.

Igotworms
Cool Member

I decided to start a youtube channel so I hope you all check it out and enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0aK_V ... 4FM5P4lNyg

Igotworms
Cool Member

Here's a good CalPhos recipe

Igotworms
Cool Member

Check out this strange bug that was on my cucumber leaf.

applestar
Mod

Tortoise beetle >> Go check out : Subject: Mealybug? Eggplant leaf
6sparkpug6 wrote:Hi-

So a year later, I finally found out what this bug is (not the white one but the one in the second batch of pictures). Turns out that it is was clavate tortoise beetle larva and it is now a clavate tortoise beetle, attached below.

I just wanted to let everyone know in case someone has the same problem. Thank you for your help apple :)

image.jpg

Igotworms
Cool Member

oh cool! thanks!

here are some pics I took today

Igotworms
Cool Member

Todays harvest Boston pickling cucumbers and Hungarian wax pepper

applestar
Mod

Very nice! My cucumbers are just starting to open male blossoms -- no females yet -- so it's a while yet before I see cucumbers on my table.

Igotworms
Cool Member

here are some herbs I harvested today

Basil

Catnip

Oregano

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Nice garden and beautiful veggies. Did you start your tomatoes from seed? I also have the Opalka tomato and seems to doing quite well. The fruit is huge for a paste type. However, it took quite awhile to get my head around the fact that the plant is very limp. I was worried that something was wrong with them when they were seedlings. I've spent quite a bit of time pruning them to keep the foliage off the ground to prevent a disease and critter path.

Igotworms
Cool Member

Thanks for stopping by lexusnexus. I started the Chadwick cherry and large red tomatoes from seed. The opalka, boxcar willie, costoluto, and howard german tomatoes were all bought from chiliplants.com I also got the Carolina reaper and Hungarian wax pepper plants there. All other plants were started from seed.
I have also been pruning like crazy trying to keep the tomato plants from taking over the garden. My boxcar willie is doing the worst of them all because of all the recent rain.

Igotworms
Cool Member

Here is a video tour of my organic garden. Come see my huge plants in my tiny urban garden!

Igotworms
Cool Member

So my boxcar Willie got black spot and my pumpkin got a vine borer. Aside from that everything is doing great! Harvesting Tomatoes daily and my bell peppers are turning red! Here are some pics

mix of tomatoes

represent PA! lol

Couldn't resist trying some green bell peppers

See these bell's turning red!

Inside of my bell pepper

Check www.PAorganicgarden.com for my YouTube organic urban garden vlog

Igotworms
Cool Member

Time for another update. I've been harvesting daily and the bells are getting more red each day.

ImageImageImage

Crazy looking ghost pepper

imafan26
Mod

Looks great. Amazing what the right mix of ingredients make. Your soil mix is basically Mel's mix plus some extra nutrients. I am jealous. I don't see any weeds.

Igotworms
Cool Member

It's mels mix + "super soil" ingredients. no weeds in the garden but there are plenty around it lol.

Igotworms
Cool Member

My first Carolina Reaper. It has an odd shape for a reaper but the others look like they should. I was told that sometimes the early reapers show weird phenos like this. I am sure its just as hot as any other reaper though. I'm slowly working up the nerve to eat it.

As close as I got so far...This thing looks like lava

Igotworms
Cool Member

BOOM!

Opalka tomato

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I'm impressed. Nice garden, Mr. Igotworms.

Igotworms
Cool Member

Thanks BirdLover! I will do a few thing differently next year but I think I got this gardening thing down. lol

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”