gastroped
Newly Registered

fungus attack

The peas are just starting to climb, but they are under attack with what appears to be fusarium.

Did a moderate search online (it led me to this forum). I have not found a remedy to kill the fungus right now. So are my pants doomed?

They were panted in a City Picker planter, you feed the water into a reservoir below.
I thought some chemical could be added into the water to kill the fungus?

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I see you are in Maryland. IMHO I think it is unlikely the peas have Fusarium in your planter. The pea season is ending or over now, they do not like hot weather or warm nights, I think you planted them too late... but it could also be related to soil and watering issues (or both). Can you post a picture?

gastroped
Newly Registered

That might be it since the other plants are doing fine. I'll get a pic off the phone. Should I move them inside or something?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your picture didn't come through. If it is on your computer, you can use the upload attachment button..

If you check with the Preview button, you can see what your post is going to look like before you submit it.

I don't think bringing them in will accomplish anything. If your peas are done, they are done. When did you plant them? Peas are cold weather crops that should be planted "as soon as the ground can be worked," which for me is about a month earlier than my average last frost date.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I would suggest replacing them with some beans, which are basically the warm weather equivalent of peas (pole beans get 6' high and require support, bush beans are shorter and do not.)

gastroped
Newly Registered

Hmmm...I did do the preview and the pic for me showed up ok. I will try the upload too.
Attachments
wilting peas.jpg

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Yeah those are done.

gastroped
Newly Registered

The pea leaves (when the vines were a foot long or so) were very tasty, up to last week. I coulda ate them all. Is there a fall planting for them or are these only a once a season venture?

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Yes you can plant them in August for a fall harvest. I have never heard of eating pea leaves before. If you pick them, you will be making it more difficult for your pea plant to make peas, and are stressing the plant.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, if you pick very many of them, it would. Most plants, if they aren't under some other kind of stress, have more leaves than they need, and can easily sacrifice 10% of them (which is why they can withstand attack by leaf eating bugs etc). I never thought about eating pea leaves either, but I do eat leaves off my broccoli plants. (Broccoli is very similar to cabbage and we eat those leaves all the time.)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”