Kenna718

Should I be worried about these leaves?

Hi, I am growing a black cherry tomato plant in an 11gal self watering container with potting mix and plastic black mulch cover. I got a pretty mature seedling from the framers market. I recently added some dolomite lime and 8-5-5 fertilizer. It's been decently warm, but when it gets below 42 or so, I bring it inside at night.

The leave at the bottom of the plant are a little sad though. Should I be worried? The top of the plant seems happy, but the branches at the bottom have leaves that are curling around the edges or are a little spotty It seems to be growing and has produced new flowers since I got it. Photos show the best and the worst of the plant.

Should I be worried? Any ideas on if I need to change something?
Attachments
Top of the plant seems happy and healthy. New flowers.
Top of the plant seems happy and healthy. New flowers.
Fruit seems to be growing!
Fruit seems to be growing!
A little sad around the edges toward the base of the plant
A little sad around the edges toward the base of the plant
A little spotty
A little spotty
Shriveled leave (this little branch actually fell off)
Shriveled leave (this little branch actually fell off)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's normal for the aging leaves at the bottom to die off. Your plant looks healthy. I would cut all the bottom leaves off so that nothing is touching the soil. Helps keep it from getting diseases.

Kenna718

I am very paranoid about this tomato plant, so that is good to hear! Thank you!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

As the plants gets larger you want to have about a foot of clearance under it. For plants grown in pots I usually don't remove a foot because my plants tend to be on the smaller side. So they need as many leaves/branches to photosynthesize as much as possible. As RBG said, remove leaves from then bottom so none touch the soil.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You will be fine do as Rainbowgardener said and cut off the bottom or stressed leaves. It ls Black Cherry anyway's that will outgrow any problems.

mach1cj

PunkRotten wrote:As the plants gets larger you want to have about a foot of clearance under it. For plants grown in pots I usually don't remove a foot because my plants tend to be on the smaller side. So they need as many leaves/branches to photosynthesize as much as possible. As RBG said, remove leaves from then bottom so none touch the soil.
my bottom leafs don't look to hot either, should I be cutting the leafs off or the whole stem a foot up from the ground?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Just the leaves unless they are small unimportant stems. If it is a major stem/trunk, especially one with fruit/flowers don't cut it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”