DonV
Cool Member

Tips for eating squash flowers

Let's here some tips, particularly for maximizing eating flowers AND squash. It "seems" like I can pick and eat a female flower off the squash and still get the squash? Are zucchini flowers as good?

I just fried some - one of the best dishes I have EVER made. Unreal. I want to maximize flowers to eat and still get squash - I have a huge garden with tons of stuff so I do not need each plant to produce a lot of veggies.

Anyone who has not tried this yet MUST. I here female flowers taste better - I did notice some tasted better BUT I have no idea which where male/female. Will report back.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

The male flowers are not attached to the little squashes. The female flowers are the squash producers. So I've heard of folks eating the male flowers to preserve the female flowers for fruit production and understand they are very tasty.

I've just never gotten down to the garden to pick the male flowers and then use them in salads and other stuff.

Let us know how your flower picking goes. :)

DonV
Cool Member

FYI male flowers do NOT taste as good (6 of 6 friends picked female flowers) and I am able to pick flowers when squash is big enough - and get flower and squash!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”