mcaquatic

Are these weeds

HI everyone
My wife and I just moved to our first house which is exciting. The people before us did a lot of gardening and there are some really nice gardening beds. It is a lot of fun right now watching everything grow in but some of the plants I cannot tell if they are weeds are not. Here are some pictures can you please let me know if they should be there?

thank you

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

#1 may be suckers from the tree, with a rose bush at the top of the pic
#2 looks like weedy elm or mulberry seedlings
Pic 6 may be Dianthus
Pic 7 & 8 look like more of the Dianthus & balloon flower (Platycodon)

mcaquatic

purpleinopp wrote:#1 may be suckers from the tree, with a rose bush at the top of the pic
Pic 6 may be Dianthus

thank you this was very helpful. I will leave the plants alone in pictures 6,7, and 8 then.

Should I pull up the plant in number #2?

anyone have any insight on number #3?

thanks again

mcaquatic

mcaquatic wrote:
purpleinopp wrote:#1 may be suckers from the tree, with a rose bush at the top of the pic
Pic 6 may be Dianthus

thank you this was very helpful. I will leave the plants alone in pictures 6,7, and 8 then.

Should I pull up the plant in number #2?

anyone have any insight on number #3?

thanks again
TTT

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

I would prob dig up #2, especially if it's hard & woody where it emerges from the ground.

In the 1st pic, occasionally trimming suckers at ground level is a normal part of having a tree that does that. Trimming the tree as little as possible should keep the suckering to a minimum. I wouldn't dig around at the base of that tree, or try to add other plants any closer.

Try adding a pic from a diff angle of the one nobody recognizes yet?

mcaquatic

here is another of three

also are these weeds?

Mr_bobo_

FIRST POST:
1 - 2 - some trees come out - possible from roots or seeds - remove it
3 - 4 - Artemisia vulgaris - surrounded with Hydrangea - REMOVE IT
5. - I am not sure what that is, but I will wait till I get flowers from it, It do not look like weed.
6. - looks like Aster to me - it will bloom in fall - leave it
7 - 8 - can be some kind of Euphorbia - leave it

OTHER PICTURES:
With white flowers are Erigeron annuus - bad weed - REMOVE IT ALL !!
Between them I see small Solidago canadensis - nice and healthy plant which bloom yellow in fall, bees love it, BUT easy it behave like weed. Now it is on you do you want it or not. You can save small cluster to see what it is and do you like it.

I hope I was helpful ;)

mcaquatic

thank you. this was very helpful

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"Weed" of course is a matter of definition. The Erigeron annuus, daisy fleabane, is a native wildflower. Daisy fleabane is one of those plants with nectar in tiny florets that is good for attracting beneficial insects including hoverflies (syrphids), bee flies, tachinid flies, parasitic wasps like braconids, small butterflies, and beetles. Look them up - the syrphids, tachnids, and braconids are definitely things you want in your garden.

The fleabane leaves are edible, though not very palatable until cooked, and are nutritious. They go well in a dish of cooked greens. Daisy fleabane leaf extracts contain caffeic acid which is an active compound that has antioxidative and neuroprotective effects on neuronal cells. You can actually buy caffeic acid supplements. Caffeic acid is found in coffee, but is unrelated to caffeine.

"Caffeic acid is a chemical found in many plants and foods. Coffee is the primary source of caffeic acid in the human diet. However, it can be found in other food sources such as apples, artichoke, berries, and pears. Wine also contains a significant amount of caffeic acid. It is used in supplements for boosting athletic performance, exercise-related fatigue, weight loss, cancer, HIV/AIDS, herpes, and other conditions. Caffeic acid is thought to have many effects in the body including antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. It might also affect the immune system in the body. " https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... eic%20acid

Daisy fleabane was used medicinally by native americans. A tea from the plant was a diuretic and medicine for digestive ailments. An essential oil can be made to relieve bronchitis and cystitis.

All that said, it is of course rather "weedy" in the sense of being a prolific spreader as you can see in your pictures.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

As mentioned, Erigeron annuus is a native wildflower in the North East. I let it grow in my garden where I don't mind it's thugish ways.

I think Photo #5 from your first set is cone flower.

Return to “Plant Identification”