megsmce
Newly Registered

Amateur gardener - what is this vine taking over?

We moved here a couple years ago, and sadly I gave little attention to one side of the house. I discovered this awful viney thing that looks diseased, is very thorny, creeping through my siding and even into the foundation of the house, and has a root system that seems endless. I tried to dig it up last spring, and after much digging and pulling, managed to break off a piece of the root that was probably 3-4 feet long. I mentioned this to a lady I work with and she suggested pouring diesel fuel on it. I am desperate, but that seems drastic. Plus, we have very...volatile neighbors whom I suspect would take serious issue with me doing that. Any suggestions or experience with something similar?

imafan26
Mod

Can you post a picture. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you posted and click on upload attachment to upload a picture from your my pictures file.

applestar
Mod

A photo would definitely help to ID -- but I'll hazard a guess -- a thorny northern perennial vine that has endless root system and climbing through the siding sounds like Greenbriar/Smilax.

Does it have stiff round green vine with spikes at intervals with glossy oval pointed leaves creased in half (sort of heart shaped)? Coiled tendrils?

megsmce
Newly Registered

Sure. I apologize, I wanted to but it was dark out at the time I posted this. :>
Attachments
20150601_085038.jpg
20150601_085045.jpg

applestar
Mod

I can't tell what it is. It does look diseased or infested, and it looks like there are inflorescence (flowerbuds) forming.

...but are you sure the thin woody thorny stems are parts of same plant as the fleshy thick stems with the splotchy leaves?

Return to “Plant Identification”