pchad2002
Newly Registered

Beets... Any help with what is wrong with the leaves?

Hello,

I am an amateur gardener trying to grow Detroit red beets for the first time. I have them in a raised container and planted them approx 1 month ago. They were growing fine, but suddenly the leaves have turned yellow and spotty, almost as if there is a fungus or mold on them. I have more beets growing in another container next to them and they are fine. Same soil, (mostly,) same watering schedule, etc. Any insight?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Attachments
Image of leaf.
Image of leaf.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I could be wrong, but that looks like a severe case of Leaf Miners to me. While they usually appear as random striations, severe infestations can have the striations all morph into solid areas.

Unfortunately there's nothing you can really do at this point, although the damage is frequently just cosmetic (although you won't be able to use the greens) & the beets may still produce usable roots.

However, the next beet sowing you do, be sure to completely cover your planting area with floating row cover to prevent this from happening again.

pchad2002
Newly Registered

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply! I've not heard of a floating row cover, I will definitely use it next time. Very much appreciated.

imafan26
Mod

It looks more like the leaves are burned from too much light. It is a cool season crop. When I grow it this time of the year I grow it under my citrus tree because the sun is just too intense now.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Actually, unless the OP lives in the tropics, root crops like beets, carrots, etc., grow just fine without any problems throughout the spring/summer/fall seasons without any scorching problems whatsoever.

OP - where are you located?

imafan26
Mod

I can only grow carrots Nov-Jan or they will be very bitter. Beets sun in the cooler months, but now they will do better under a tree with lots of water.

It could be a mineral deficiency of calcium or boron. Beets are a bit fussy about pH. Too high or low and the mineral deficiencies will start to show up and they usually express it in the leaves.

pchad2002
Newly Registered

I am in Boston and all the grow calendars suggest that now is still good for beets. They went into the ground as seed in early May. My garden, however, is on a 5 story roof deck which gets LOTS of sun and wind so sometimes things do get burnt, wind damaged, etc..

As I mentioned, I also have another container with some beets with the same sun, soil, etc. and it is just barely effected by whatever this is so I don't think too much sun is the issue as it would impact both containers equally...

Anyway, thanks so much for the help. Is is very much appreciated.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”