Joe24
Newly Registered

Does anyone know what this is?

Does anyone know what type of bug this is?
Attachments
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Is it alive? It looks like it has been mumified, which would actually be a good thing.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Where are you located & what type of plant is this on?

mahniah
Newly Registered

This looks like it's a Clavate Tortoise beetle because it looks a little like a turtle. I had them in my garden several years ago and just picked them off the leaves and dropped them in a bucket of soapy water. I never saw them after that year, so I guess they're pretty easy to get rid of.

applestar
Mod

Agree it's a tortoise beetle. The one you showed has clear edges and dark black/brownish center. They are pests but not a serious one unless you have an outbreak. I just pick them off like @mahniah.

There is a related, slightly smaller tortoise beetle with liquid gold shell -- beautiful. I posted a photo of it once or twice before.

Even though they are also plant eating pests, I usually leave them alone. I just can't bring myself to destroy them.

applestar
Mod

Subject: Anyone ever seen a shiny gold bug >>
Metriona bicolor, family Chrysomelidae

applestar wrote::clap: I FOUND THEM! :clap:
I took pics too but didn't label or keyword them so it took forever to find! They were from July. Thanks for the bug ID -- now I can correctly label these photos. :wink: This one was on a Moonflower leaf (Ipomoea alba) - also in the morning glory family. (You can click on the photos to see them full-size)

A Drop of Gold on a Leaf?

Incredible Jewel Closeup

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

That's beautiful! Reminds me of one of those Egyptian Scarab beetle jewels/decorations.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”