Joshua_L
Newly Registered

Newbie with Ficus Religiosa

I have recently purchased 2 small f. religiosa plants from my local farmers market. The are currently about an inch or so tall and have roughly 6-8 leaves. I was not given much information about how to care for them and I am unable to find much information on the web. I was able to find information on ficus plants in general, but not much about this specific species. Any help you all could give me would be much appreciated.
I have not cared for many plants in the past, but I would really like these trees to do well and I will put in the time and effort necessary to see to that. I am just not well informed at the moment.
I need to know of course basic things like general watering guidelines, how much light they need etc.
Further, I would like to know when is an appropriate time to repot them to larger containers and what I should use to repot them into. General potting soil? Or something more specialized and specific.
Any other information you feel I could use I would like to hear.
Thank You

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

How you care for them will depend on what you ultimately want to do with them. Are you planning on raising the as bonsai? Or just indoor plants/trees?

Regardless, & I know (or hope) you've already done this - do a websearch on "growing Ficus Religiousa". Tons of info out there.

Joshua_L
Newly Registered

No I will not be growing it as bonsai. They will be indoor houseplants with size limit being what is practical/reasonable for my means. They will remain in a Buddhist shrine room for the foreseeable future. Should it become necessary to plant them permanently outside I will find a suitable place such as a Buddhist monastery or practice center, however this is many years down the line I suspect.
If anyone has experience with this (or similar) species I would appreciate any specific pointers. I have indeed browsed the web however much of the information is bonsai specific and I'm not sure it if would be applicable to my situation.

Thank you

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Well then, like I said, TONS of dedicated info out there as to growing them as regular houseplants. As far as growing them outdoors, that will only be possible if you live in a year-round tropical climate, as they are not even remotely frost-hardy. In temperate climates they can spend summers outdoors so long as you take the time to slowly acclimate them to outdoor digs & back inside again in the Fall.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”