travis0017
Newly Registered

Morning Glories - Invasive in Minnesota?

I am new to gardening and so made an impulse buy based on the pretty photo on the Morning Glory package. I started the seedlings for 6 weeks before ready to plant here in Minnesota and have since read about people having these things take over and reseed all over their lawn.

I just planned on putting these in my window boxes (I know, not a great choice as a vine-upward plant :/).

It says "annual" on the Burpee website, but I've read online where some people's survive and regrow in Canada.

Will these take over my and my neighbors' lawns if I plant in the window boxes? Will Minnesota's sub zero winters break the reseeding cycle?

Appreciate any help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think you are OK. It looks like Minnesota is zones 3 & 4. From what I have read people in zone 5 and south report morning glories re-seeding themselves, but no one north of there, zone 4 or below, does. I think you are too cold for the seeds to survive.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

No worries for you whatsoever. Yes, SOME members of the Morning Glory family "can" become invasive, but not the way other plants are considered "invasive" in any way, shape, or form. The common variety you've most likely purchased seeds for will be A-Okay as an annual in your area, & you have no worries about starting a line of science-fiction Triffids marching through Minnesota - lol! :lol:

travis0017
Newly Registered

Thank you both for the replies and for quelling my active imagination!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”