Toxic1979

Zucchini Flowers starting... and Crowd Control.

Are these Zucchini flowers that are starting to grow near the stem?
Flowers ?
Flowers ?
Most of my plants have 5 or 6 of them already. I planted them on April 13, 2015 from seed. They are Elegance, and Golden Dawn III.

I already did one up-pot Transplant. From a community pot to the 6 inch pots.

Also, some of the Zucchini plants have two zucchinis growing in a pot (6 inch pot). I did not attempt to remove or thin during the first transplant as I wanted to max the survival rate of the transplants, as I was told that Zucchinis are very hard to transplant. All 10 of mine survived, and grew well after. I'm having more trouble with my Tomatoes.

Sorry, question is should I thin them to one plant per pot? And should I look at planting them in larger pots again? I don't anticipate being able to place them out until the first week of June.... maybe.
Zucchini Plants
Zucchini Plants

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I put mine in separate pots. Each about 1ft tall about 10 inches wide. I can't leave them outside the cage area anymore......pests.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, flower buds. Yes, thin them and don't have two per pot (I don't think they are that hard to transplant). Yes, up-pot again.

You are finding out why I don't start zucchini seed until my average last frost date. They grow VERY fast and out grow everything.

Toxic1979

Excellent! Thanks for the advice! I will thin, and then up-pot to 10 inch pots.

How long it usually take for the flowers to open up?

applestar
Mod

First week of June is a long way off.... You may want to start some backup seeds/plants... Just in case.

I'm not sure if you will be able to grow these without getting them stressed due to too small containers, insufficient light, etc., and if you go up to 10" pots and they respond by growing to their natural size, with thick prickly stems and hollow, easily kinked leaf stems, you may not be able to plant them out later.

imafan26
Mod

Zucchini are large plants and once they start flowering they will only produce for about 6 weeks before they are done. Such small plants may not give you a lot of zucchini.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think zucchini is best planted by seed out in the garden right where it will grow. Plant on the day of the last average frost in your area. I like to plant a hill of 5 seeds then move over 5 feet and do it again. This season I planted a 25 foot row with a seed every 8 inches in the row. It is not up yet. Will have to report later? I had an asparagus plot with two rows of new roots, and wanted something on the plot to make a harvest this season. So the zucchini.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”