Djoelie
Newly Registered

Do these young tomato plants need bigger pots?

Hi,
I'm new to gardening and trying to grow tomatoplants. I started from some seeds and this is their state at the moment (see photo).
I wonder what my next step is now. They are still too small to be planted in the garden, right? Do they need a bigger pot now?
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_20150508_085801032_HDR.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Depending on where you are, they are big enough to go out into the garden. Bury them deep up to the an inch of the bottom leaves.

Djoelie
Newly Registered

Well, I'm in Belgium...atm it's around 7 degrees celsius at night, 15-17 in the daytime..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They could stay where they are for a little longer or you could up-pot now. Tomatoes benefit from up -potting, when you bury them deeper as imafan said.

This year someone gifted me with a bunch of plastic pots that are 2.5" square at the bottom, 3.5 in square at the top and 5" deep. Great for tomato seedlings to let them grow long roots. But I'm having trouble finding them to order more.

Otherwise, I don't know if you have them in Belgium, but here they sell these 16 oz plastic cups (Solo brand) cheap in packs of 50 and they work great for tomato seedlings:

But up-potted or not, your seedlings will not do well on the window sill for much longer. Not enough light, they will start stretching. It will take a week or so to get them hardened off. If your weather is on a warming trend, you can start now, just putting them out for 1-2 hrs the first day and increasing daily.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

7°C isn't terribly cold but your tomatoes would like it warmer.

No, they don't need larger pots just yet, especially if they will only be indoors a few more days.

As Imafan suggests, tomatoes can go in deep. That's because they develop roots along their stems. Being a little root bound may be overcome by that and I doubt if they are root bound.

With larger plants, pay attention to water needs and don't forget that they need several days experience with outdoor conditions before going out in the open garden. It's best if they are out only during the nicest hours and out of direct sunlight, at first.

Steve

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:They could stay where they are for a little longer or you could up-pot now. Tomatoes benefit from up -potting, when you bury them deeper as imafan said.

This year someone gifted me with a bunch of plastic pots that are 2.5" square at the bottom, 3.5 in square at the top and 5" deep. Great for tomato seedlings to let them grow long roots. But I'm having trouble finding them to order more.

Otherwise, I don't know if you have them in Belgium, but here they sell these 16 oz plastic cups (Solo brand) cheap in packs of 50 and they work great for tomato seedlings:

But up-potted or not, your seedlings will not do well on the window sill for much longer. Not enough light, they will start stretching. It will take a week or so to get them hardened off. If your weather is on a warming trend, you can start now, just putting them out for 1-2 hrs the first day and increasing daily.
If you do decide to use plastic drinking cups to repot your seedlings, remember that you MUST poke a drainage hole or two in the bottom first.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I'm gonna throw in 2 cents -whether you up-pot or plant in the ground, don't leave them in those peat pots. Yes, they are bio-degradable, but the roots have to fight to get through the pot and it stunts their growth. I hate those things!

Michael Czabator
Newly Registered

I agree with the consensus on this forum. I think those pots are be sufficient for now, but I would remove them before planting despite the fact that they are compostable.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

catgrass wrote:I'm gonna throw in 2 cents -whether you up-pot or plant in the ground, don't leave them in those peat pots. Yes, they are bio-degradable, but the roots have to fight to get through the pot and it stunts their growth. I hate those things!
I use them occasionally, but simply water well & gently peel them off the seedling before planting out. The peeled off pot remains then simply get tossed on the compost pile or turned under in the garden.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, those tomatoes can grow in a pot that size for a while yet.
I am with those who have said don't plant the peat pot. For sure peal it off.
I like to plant in plastic drinking cups. Punch a couple of holes as suggested.
These make good pots and the plants come right out for planting since they
are tapered well. Have a great garden!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”