kayjay
Green Thumb

What Do You Call This Phenomenon?

So I have this healthy little zucchini seedling.

I checked on it late at night, lights were out, and it did this:

It folded up its cotyledons. I wanted to google around and figure out how common that was, if it's normal, etc, but I couldn't even come up with the right keywords. Anyway, it's back to normal today for its sun bath, it seems happy, I'm just curious what that was.

applestar
Mod

...sleeping?... :>

--- sorry, I feel like I should know this word, but I can't think of it. :roll:

imafan26
Mod

Here if a flower or plant sleeps, it means it is dead.
Nyctinasty is the technical term when some plants' flowers or leaves close at night. It is a circadium rhythm thing that they do that. Certain cells in the plant are able to change their shape in response to the different spectrum of light. Blue light in the daytime keep the leaves open and red light at dusk and night will make them close.

It has to do with the action of the potassium pump in specialized cells located at the joint of the leaves called the pulvini that passively pumps water in and out of the cells through osmosis and acts like the hinges of a door popping the leaves up and down.

P.S. I really did not know all this stuff. I looked it up and this is just the simplified version.

applestar
Mod

"Nyctinasty" ...what a funny word :roll:

...nope, I don't think I knew it... How could I forget if I did. :lol:

imafan26
Mod

It is a funny word and probably one most of us would not even use much. Another word you don't hear often is cauliferous.
It is where flowers and fruit form on the trunk of the tree instead of the branch tips.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Fer a minute I thought he or she had a Venus flytrap! :)

kayjay
Green Thumb

Cool, thanks! Good to know.

Applestar, that's what I called it at first. I saw it and showed my fiance. "Hey, check it out! It went ni-night!!" :P

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Heliotropism

imafan26
Mod

Heliotropism is the diurnal motion of plants moving in response to the direction of the sun.

Nyctinasty is the diurnal response to the onset of night which would be the opposite of heliotropism.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”