Flowers

Incoming frost! Impending doom?

This sunday, were expected to have a light frost. (Low of 30). In the garden, I have very small pea, spinach, and carrot sprouts. Do I need to protect them at all? If so, how?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All of that stuff is extremely cold hardy. I wouldn't worry about them in a light frost. Now if you had peppers and squash ....

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

potatoes.JPG
I'm up against it tonight too. Forecast to be 34 degrees, my garden is a little ways down from the house, in a little bit of a low lying area. It always freezes there when temps are in mid 30's. Have some cool weather stuff in which I'm not worried about, but I know potatoes and grapes will get zapped! Potatoes finally came back nicely after getting zapped about a month ago as did grapes, and I know they will again, but why stress em out that way? Think I'll throw a couple sheets over them tonight, hope it'll help.

Potatoes look like this now after recovering. They looked similar to this a month ago, took them this long to regenerate!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

well potatoes and grapes are also frost hardy. Covering won't hurt (as long as you remove the cover promptly in the AM), but probably isn't necessary.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”