Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Tell me about kiwi

I want to grow them, and I garden in zone 10. Will they bear fruit? I got warm climate variety, but labels still say bears best with some temperatures below 32, and we get those extremely rarely, and maybe never, since my garden is a few blocks from the ocean. Will I get ANY fruit?
Also, I would prefer to grow them in pots, although I could put them into dirt (trees are not alowed in community garden in the ground, but kiwis are vines, so I could technically. What size pots would be enough. I would prefer to keep them on the smaller side anyway, until I manifest my paradise land. :) I know for best growth in pots I need to make a good soil mix with compost, rock dust and mycorrhizae, probably vermiculite.
Any other tips?

imafan26
Mod

This a document about growing low chill kiwi in San Diego. At least it is a start. It sounds like it you need more than one plant since male and female may not be on the same plant and you would need to look for the low chill varieties.

If they are anything like the low chill apples, pears, and apricots, they are not as good as the regular ones. If you live at a high elevation you may be able to get enough hours for them.

https://crfgsandiego.org/Documents/LOW%2 ... 0FRUIT.pdf

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Yes, I ordered two, of course, a male and a female. Hmm, my garden is close to the ocean, so I probably won't get enough chill. I guess I will try and talk to them nicely as well. :)

I'm a KIWI and I live in NEW ZEALAND, Land of the best KIWI FRUIT.

I'm a commercial Kiwifruit and Hass Avocado grower and Plant Consultant.

Just Joined the Forum and Hope to help you all grow.

These are some of the fruit I have personally grown this season to export under the Zespri Brand.

They will be picked in April/May the Photo was taken 3 months ago, they are much bigger now.

Ive lived on a Kiwifruit orchard since age 11, I'm 36 today.

Maybe I can help you.

cheers

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

They are gorgeous! You do get freezing temperatures in winter, right?

No we are near the sea.

our orchard is ultra warm, that is why we can grow avocados.

All commercial Kiwifruit growers use Hydrogen cyanamide (Hi-Cane) to give a artificial winter and even bud break.

Winter Chilling helps. even with Hydrogen cyanamide.

Erger-K has been used in new trials.

Joyfirst wrote:They are gorgeous! You do get freezing temperatures in winter, right?
Those ARE Gold KIWIFRUIT, you may have only tasted Green Kiwifruit.

JONA
Greener Thumb

There is a lovely dwarf kiwi called Issai which is easy to grow in a tub. The fruit is plum sized and the skin is smooth so you just eat the whole thing. DELISH!.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

JONA wrote:There is a lovely dwarf kiwi called Issai which is easy to grow in a tub. The fruit is plum sized and the skin is smooth so you just eat the whole thing. DELISH!.
That sounds good. But do they need chill time? My climate has freezing maybe once in ten years, if that.
One bummer though -I found out, it takes seven years to get fruit. Can they be grafted to give fruit earlier?

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

[quote="123"]All commercial Kiwifruit growers use Hydrogen cyanamide (Hi-Cane) to give a artificial winter and even bud break.
quote]
That sounds like chemicals, and I grow organically.

Fruitgerminator
Newly Registered

123 wrote:I'm a KIWI and I live in NEW ZEALAND, Land of the best KIWI FRUIT.

I'm a commercial Kiwifruit and Hass Avocado grower and Plant Consultant.

Just Joined the Forum and Hope to help you all grow.

These are some of the fruit I have personally grown this season to export under the Zespri Brand.

They will be picked in April/May the Photo was taken 3 months ago, they are much bigger now.

Ive lived on a Kiwifruit orchard since age 11, I'm 36 today.

Maybe I can help you.

cheers

Hello 123,

Can I ask you something about kiwifruit? I started to grow seedlings from seed. It's called the Green Kiwi or Hayward kiwi. How can I know if I grow a male or female plant? I have a small garden but certainly can grow 2 kiwi vines. I would like to know If it's male or female before putting it into the soil. Can you help me?

SD maholi
Newly Registered

Hi
I need information that will kiwi fruit grow where chill hours are met but summers are very hot and long?
Long and hot means that summer is sevem 7 month long and and temperature may and June is 40cescius max and 27 low in nights. No rain but we got good irrigation system.
All suggestions welcome
Thanks guys

Return to “All Other Fruit”