rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

life of a broccoli seedling

I thought it might be interesting to show the progression:

Broccoli was planted 1/24.

Four days later, 1/28, they were mostly sprouted, with seed leaves

2/6 they had been moved to one per cell and had just the beginning of true leaves in the axil

2/11 the first true leaf is well developed and the second one is starting

most of them are over an inch tall

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

almost two weeks after the last picture, 2/24
2015-02-24 06.46.48.jpg
2015-02-24 06.46.48.jpg (38.11 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
They have two well developed true leaves and beginning the next, have more than doubled in height and have thickened up with sturdier stems. Starting to look like little plants vs seedlings.
2015-02-24 broccoli.jpg
2015-02-24 broccoli.jpg (49.53 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
This is exactly one month from when the seeds were planted.

Hmm, I just realized that I did one of these last year (it shows in the similar threads at the bottom). I had forgotten. But I abandoned that thread pretty early on. I will try to keep this one going at least until the broccoli goes in the ground.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I love how broccoli, kale, kohlrabi and Chinese cabbage come up. I'm skipping the broccoli this year....takes up too much room and forever in my AP. I put some in the garden last year and the moths were the worst I've ever had.

applestar
Mod

Yep white cabbage butterflies and cabbage moths are pests you'll need to contend with.
:arrow: Subject: Spray solution for cabbage butterfly, etc

Rainbowgardener, I'm looking forward to seeing the progression :D

This is a great idea -- maybe we could all pick some thing and create progression threads like this. 8)

erins327

applestar- Can I ask you, how cold is your seedlings environment?

I'm just curious since yours look so healthy. Here in Texas I have to start mine in early Fall and its too hot, even inside the house they get tall and stringy in the 78 degree house!

applestar
Mod

I think you mean Rainbowgardener :wink:
-- don't worry, apparently we are twins and others have mistaken one of us for the other -- it happens several times a year --

...but if you did mean to ask ME, let me know which picture you are referring to -- I grow them in different microclimates in the house and garage and move them around according to their growth stage and availability of space, and needing the space for other seedlings.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you did mean me, they are at the house heat, which is 68 deg in the day time and 63 at night, programmable thermostat.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here is a broccoli seedling as of yesterday, 3/1, almost five weeks from planting the seeds. This is pretty typical, though there are some variations of course. They are now potted up in their individual pots:
2015-03-01 12.31.04.jpg
2015-03-01 12.31.04.jpg (25.64 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
3 inches tall, 3 true leaves and starting on the fourth. They are closing in on being transplant size, but it's fine that they aren't ready, because neither is the ground, which is still covered in snow and ice. Thurs night we have low temps back in to negative numbers! :( :shock:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

a week after that picture was taken, almost six weeks after the seeds were planted, and here's the broccoli now.

2015-03-08 14.19.00-2.jpg
2015-03-08 14.19.00-2.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

It's outside! :D 4 inches tall, 4 true leaves and working on the fifth.
Attachments
2015-03-08 14.20.21.jpg
2015-03-08 14.20.21.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The broccoli especially (and the other cool weather stuff, not quite as dramatically) has been loving the cooler outside air, etc. In two days, it got dramatically bigger - not taller, but wider, the leaves bigger, and sturdier - and darker green colored. They are healthy little transplants now and pretty much could go in the ground as soon as adequately hardened and I get some ground ready for them. So far I have not touched any of my ground.

It will be a challenge this year. We are working on getting our house ready to sell, so I have a million indoor projects. Repainting all the wood trim in the house and our 1923 house is rather over-supplied with wood trim. I have just about finished the dining room which has three large windows (all with wide trim and sills), a door to the screened porch, doorways to the kitchen and living room, and French doors (with a million little panes with dividers) to the office (which then opens to the back deck). Whew! Three windows and four doors/doorways in one room! And the rest of the rooms aren't far behind. As far as entrance/exit, the house has two front doors (side by side, one to the living room and one to the screen porch), two back doors (one above the other, to the deck and from the walk out basement to the carport and then patio) and a side door. And about a million windows. All that wood trim is a wonderful asset, except when you have to paint it.

But I got off the broccoli topic. When I take it out today, I will try to get a top down picture to show some of the changes better.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”