Greener Thumb

seed start

Kitchen table seed starting
Attachments
IMG_20150126_151832_438.jpg
IMG_20150126_151832_438.jpg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This is my micro seed starting area. Windows are East, another is south but has overhang so good light just not sun. There are 2 clamp-on shop lights over head plus a couple of track lights on ceiling, plus a floor lamp with 5 lights, the medussa type. A heat register under the table helps warm it also.

Trays planted, not sprouted are on table. Once showing green get bumped up to rack. Then when bigger usually get bumped into 4" pots. Odds and ends of orphans in trays on windowsill.

What's there now.
marjoram
mtn mint (2 varieties, just trying this yr)
coneflower TN
" purple
parsley -flat leaf
milkweed -tropical (3 trays as testing 3 sources)
lavender munstead
horehound
pennyroyal
joe pye weed (not sure how this is doing)
catnip
oregano-Greek
Black Eyed Susan -Goldsturm (trying again)

applestar
Mod

Looking good! That's a LOT of stuff growing. You are going to be busy! :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

A few went out to play. 5 small trays fit in a flat tray. They were allowed a few hrs in light shade, sheltered. 60's in shelter, 50's in yard
Attachments
IMG_20150127_120029_708.jpg

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Just a few more seeds planted today -chamomile, salad burnet and borage. Oregano planted 5 days ago showing green.

I ordered more seeds from Artistic Gardens (VT). It's a new source to me, and they have some different things at good prices. Aside from the regular white yarrow, they have pink and yellow. The yarrows may be another close to a year out to bloom. That suggests I'll plant a bit later when the 1st flush is through the pipeline, and have starts for next season.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

How easy is the borage to start. I want to add some to my bee garden.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Rd, can't tell you timing and success of Borage seeds, yet. Perhaps in a week or 2! Another for you to look at, new to me, is Mountain Mint. So far germination fair-pretty good, and a couple are looking to bump up to 4" pots. Do a quick google for more info.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Rd, Update on borage seed starting! In my totally unsophisticated starting, the seeds came up in a few days, and BIG! The root going down through peat pellet, and it may be a week or so before true leaves develop. Once they get a bit bigger, will try to put in qt pots that are deeper than the 4". Perhaps for you best direct sow once weather is warm.

This round was just trying, as I do many things. Later in April am thinking to direct sow in a pot for market.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Trying to be a little more organized on germination times, and wrote on the plastic plant tags. Starting area pictured above. There is a secondary area where some go when get true leaves, and the real slow ones.
This is a partial list:

chives 8 (days)
garlic chives 7-8
sage 10+
parsley 8-10
anise hyssop 7 -10
chamomile 4-5
borage 4-5
oregano 5
pennyroyal 5
lavender 8-10
salad burnet 5+
catnip 5+
new england aster 4-6 wk cold, 14 d
lobelia (cardinal flower, blue and red)
forever and a month. Perhaps time to not bother!

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Thanks for the info on Borage and other germination times. It just goes to show...you can't always rely on internet searches. The chart in this link shows Borage at 20 days. The longest of them all.

https://www.outsidepride.com/resources/p ... Herbs.html

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I frequently find that starting my seeds on the heat mat, I have considerably quicker germination times than what is listed. It is why I keep my own data, so I have an idea what to expect in my circumstances.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

It goes without saying seed germination times vary for many reasons. Some use a heat mat which is good especially for some varieties. If it just shaves off a couple of days, not in my best interest over all. In my crude-to-others system, am micro-managing some odd bedfellows, and less than common plants. Yes, I do like the challenge of uncovering new varieties (new to me) and going with it!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

The time has come to clean up the perennial mostly evergreen pots, and ready for market. Was hoping for this week, but is still cold (for me, not the plants).
The ones that wintered in qt pots, stayed mostly green. These in sheltered areas, though not brought in, so did go down into the mid-lower teens. When real cold had them in the mini greenhouse which really just protects from blowing stuff, not so much temps. I turned over and shook from pot, knocked off loose dirt. Dead and not pretty stems cut off. Then put back in pot filling in with new soil (Fafards and added some osmocote). They look pretty and given a week or 2 to settle, sprout new growth will be nice!
yarrow
columbine
rue
horehound
salad burnet
lavender
rosemary (up potted a few from 3.5" pots)

A couple showing new growth and even tried to stay green all winter include a few coneflower and comfrey.

applestar
Mod

Sounds great! I guess spring IS coming. :D

All my garden perennials are under a foot of snow LOL. But this will be good for them -- more protection from getting freeze-dried, a bit of snow-borne nitrogen, and water when the snow melts.

applestar
Mod

SusanW, from your description, mature Coneflower sounds pretty hardy to cold temperature.

I have a 4" community pot of new Purple Coneflower seedlings on the bottom shelf of my Winter Paradise (about mid70's during day, mid 60's at night) do you think it should be moved out to room temp (lo to high 60's)? Or should it go out to the garage V8 Nursery with cold weather crop? (Hovering low 30's to 40's)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Apple, your coneflowers sound like babies! Treat them as such. Do you plan to separate and have their own crib aka pot? I'd do that, get a couple of good strong leaves before putting them out to the garage.

applestar
Mod

They have their first true leaves ... maybe second... But you are saying let them grow more like a plant than babies before subjecting them to much colder temps?

I guess I will separate them into individual pots and put them in a room temperature area first as you said. It makes sense. Thanks Susan. :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Some of the hardy perennials ready to be re-homed.
Attachments
IMG_20150308_111443_527.jpg

Susan W
Greener Thumb

MG, yes, have borage seeds and as they popped up quick will wait until next month to do that again. Most places suggest direct sow, but not if I'm trying to peddle potted starts! As it happens, I did order the bay mini (micro?!) trees from artistic gardens, and forgot about it. I think they ship in spring, whenever that is.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”