digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Remote Thermometer . ?

Do you have one you are happy with? Is a sensor in a challenging location?

I have a protected-growing buildings in my backyard. One is actually in the neighbor's backyard. None are at any great distance but there are insulated north walls.

The insulated north wall of the greenhouse interferes with a remote thermometer that I bought last year. I had an Oregon brand and it worked great for several years until the sensors began to go out. The new one was also an Oregon. I learned that when it could not detect a signal, it would freeze and continue showing the last temperature. That made it worse than useless. I'd be misled into thinking everything was fine -- when it wasn't!

Do you have a remote thermometer you can recommend?

Steve

applestar
Mod

That explains why the indoor station for the remote sensor on the patio is showing 40°F when it's in the 20's out there ! ...I think the remote needs a new battery.

You would think that newer ones would have better and longer distance signal detection....

The one that lasted longest was a radio/alarm clock/indoor-outdoor thermometer I bought from Brookstone's ages ago. The sensor range was pitiful. The remote got dropped and battery cover broke so it had to be rubber banded on. But it kept working. The interior home station I think finally died last fall so now I can't tell the temperature on the front porch unless I go outside and look at the display on the remote..... I don't think they sell that anymore.

Oregon brand is everywhere.... I'll be following this thread with interest. 8)

Rairdog
Green Thumb

The cheap little Springfield has lasted me the longest here in the GH. I have put in a ziplock in my AP fish tank and it quit working twice from condensation. Dry it out and it comes back to life. It seems to be less reliable when below freezing. We have Lacrosse at the farm in the campers. They have lasted for 5 plus years and I have only changed batteries a couple times. I have an Acurite but it tends to eat batteries the most IMO. Low/cold batteries tend to give funky temps. I usually just buy them on sale for under 10 bucks and I'm not brand loyal yet.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Rairdog,

Those remote sensors are in the campers?

That should be a good test. The most recent one will work outside the backdoor just fine. And, it will work now & then in the greenhouse. Misplaced reliance on it won't be repeated! Changing batteries helps not a wit most of the time ...

Steve

Rairdog
Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:Rairdog,

Those remote sensors are in the campers?

That should be a good test. The most recent one will work outside the backdoor just fine. And, it will work now & then in the greenhouse. Misplaced reliance on it won't be repeated! Changing batteries helps not a wit most of the time ...

Steve
The thermometer is in the camper...the sensors are under the camper so they stay dry. We have 3 campers with them. It's bigger Lacrosse with temp, time, date and moon phase that mounts on the wall.

Similar to this one but I don't think its atomic. The clock is usually off a little but temps always check out with other thermometers.
https://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technol ... X25VYKT1BW

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Another useful and reliable therm has been a Taylor meat thermometer. I am smoking some venison jerky and spiral hams right now. I know it goes down to 32 because I have checked the dogs frozen water bowl to see how low it would go. It is great for spot checking/verifying other thermometers, ground probe, seed media temps, my AP growbeds and fishtanks. I think it was 17 bucks at Menards. It's over a year old and still on generic supplied batts.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Rairdog,

I think you may be inspiring some folks!

Thank you :).

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I put a remote thermometer in my covered row that I have greens growing in for the winter, just to see what the temp. gets compared to the outside. I also have a sensor out front, out of the sun, and down in my basement (It can handle up to 8 remote sensors, though I don't think I will even need more than 3!). The one with the greens is over 50' away from the main console, and I have not had it go out all winter, except when I first put it out. I replaced the batteries with the slightly more expensive Duracell alkalines, and haven't had a problem since! It goes through the back wall/door, and the back porch, then it's down about 10', and out about 30' more. The near 100% humidity hasn't seemed to bother it, and the temp. has gotten in the low 20's under the cover (12º outside). Here is the link. It has gone up about $15 since I got it in Oct.!
https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-W ... hermometer

applestar
Mod

Pepperhead this looks like an expensive but very capable system and I can see several applications with the variety of sensors offered. DigitS may be able to use the wired probe sensor to position the transmitter where it can signal the base in the house better.... And if you scroll down the page, they show a catalog of ALL the different models with different types of display stations and sensors.

I put a couple of possibilities on my Amazon Wishlist to review later.... 8)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Pepperhead, that's the right number of sensors!

I have the #1 greenhouse, where daytime monitoring is imperative (the furnace thermostat can take over at night), #2 shed-attached hoop house that has a little electric heater & fan and which catches all the warm-season plants before they go out for hardening off, and #3 free-standing hoop house.

The hoop houses are less prone to daytime overheating but that one has some vulnerable plants for overnight frosts.

Monitoring all three will make my days less stressful here in my South Window :) and I should be able to sleep easier on cold nights :?.

Steve

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I have been trying to catch a 4 station on sale for a while. Even better yet, a wifi one that I can monitor with my phone. They are out there...just waiting for the price to come down.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”