n8young
Cool Member

white fly infestation

Ok - so I have a unique situation.......I dug out one of my hot pepper plants to overwinter last fall, and it is not only alive, but still kicking out peppers.......that's awesome......now here comes the downside......all the white fly larvae that were in the soil hatched, and I have white flies all over the plant. I have tried organic insecticides, and I can't shake the little devils. On the bright side, the plant has weathered their existence, and will make it until I can bring it back outisde, but now here's the big problem.......it currently resides in my little basement hotbox area where I start my seeds each winter for the garden in spring.........I have no other place to put the pepper plant, and I am worried that if I leave it in the hotbox with all my starts, that all of my starts will get ravaged by whiteflies......

Would appreciate any input from anyone on what they think about this?

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

I have heard that sticky traps are the last word for whitefly control.

I suspect my solution for aphid control of releasing ladybugs will also help with whiteflies, though.
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 39&t=56651

imafan26
Mod

Whiteflies are hard to control. It will be hard to isolate the plant unless you can put it in another room. I have cut peppers back and disposed of the tops and dunked the whole pot in horticultural oil for about 10 minutes. I have a problem with the leaves curling when I use soap. I will check the plant to see if any more whiteflies show up and dunk the plant again every three days or so until I am sure they are gone. The adults flit around the place so they won't stick around for the dunkings so sticky traps are a good idea. you will need to keep a close eye on your other plants.

n8young
Cool Member

I'm thinking it's probably not worth the effort to try to save one pepper plant, when it could potentially compromise all my starts for my 2015 garden. Seems like a rational line of thinking, no? But the gardener in me really wanted to see how this pepper plant made out being put back in the garden at full size.......

applestar
Mod

My hot peppers that were brought inside are leafing out and starting to put on flower buds. I'm plucking them for the moment to let the leaves grow done more. By the time the weather Is ready to put them outside, they will be full of blossoms snd some green baby peppers as well.

I would try at least, especially if you are ready to sacrifice it. Dunk the whole plant in bucket of soapy water, rinse off completely and thoroughly... even wash off the roots and repot. You can also prune down to sticks like imafan said. The ones I'm bringing back from the garage dormancy look like bunch of sticks. They will leaf out from multiple nodes.

I have found using the ladybugs at this stage to be critical because all kinds of pests will go after the tender new pepper leaves.

n8young
Cool Member

so I did the full plant removal from soil, and soaked it in a soapy water bath rinsing all the leaves off, etc.........good news, no more white flies........bad news.......plant didn't like being taken from it's pot, and never reaclimated.........we've got no pulse.....once the snow melts, I will lay her to rest......... :(

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”